2018 Honda CR-V - Lemon law

Electrical issues…no display while radio is playing, cant control volume, air pressure light when pressure is fine. Defective battery car had to be flat bedded to dealer. Wont start intermittently and lose of power to tail gate. Upon starting put foot on break hit ignition and foot is kicked back off break then break pedal compresses. Anyone else experience this??? I have been to dealer several times for electrical issues. I think I feel lemon law going into full effect! Any advise is greatly appreciated…

Let us know how things develop. Typically, 3 times to fix the same issue is the starting point for a Lemon Law case. The dealer also has to refuse to replace the vehicle or its value.

Lemon Law claims are pursued through the manufacturer, NOT through the dealership.
The dealership’s role is to repair–or attempt to repair–the vehicle. If they are unable to repair a particular problem after three attempts, then the OP can initiate a Lemon Law complaint with Honda of America.

No argument here. But my understanding is that the resolution available for lemon law cases is a replacement of the vehicle or its value. So if that has been offered, what is the point? I ask sincerely. Maybe I am missing some other benefit.

That varies from state to state. Some states (like NJ) give the aggrieved owner the option of either an equivalent replacement vehicle or a full cash refund. Other states only allow for vehicle replacement in the event that one is successful with a Lemon Law case.

If Honda of America did offer a settlement, I imagine that the OP would have accepted it.
In any event, a dealership is not likely to offer a settlement in a situation where the manufacturer–not the dealership–bears the legal liability.

Ahh. I gotcha. I was jumping ahead to the part where the dealer acts as Honda’ agent. Like they do when they provide a warranty repair. Indeed, it is Honda that ultimately pays.

… IF somebody lives in a relatively progressive state, where a cash settlement is an option for the car owner.

In more regressive states, all that is necessary for settlement is for the manufacturer to provide an “equivalent” replacement vehicle–and that is something that the manufacturers prefer because it costs them only a fraction of what a cash settlement would cost them.

Either way, OP needs to review lemon law requirements for their state.

Do the non-start and the loss of power continue after the new battery was installed?

The brake pedal action you describe is normal. Don’t include that in your complaint to the dealer or carmaker - it gives them an easy excuse to question your credibility and not take seriously the electrical problems that do seem genuine - if they are still present.

Keep records intact in case you decide to bring your complaints up to Honda corporate level - see owners manual for how to do this.

1 Like

Wait, what? Kick back from a brake pedal is normal? Have driven a lot of cars&trucks, foreign&domstic, never have had a “foot kicked back off”.

Many times I have seen the sales department put the customer in a different vehicle while their vehicle was in the service department, dealers want to avoid Lemon Law cases.

The dealer can be charged back on the sale of the vehicle.

Do you usually press the brake pedal when you start the engine? Because that’s how it is worded in the original post:

I don’t normally press the brake pedal when starting the engine but have a couple times when doing some work and the pedal reaction was similar to how it was described. Not knocking your foot off but certainly a momentary buck upward before settling in. Maybe not all power brakes react the same but I know mine did…

Always foot on the brake with an automatic, never felt that reaction.
Yes, the brake pedal might go down a tad when started, but never kickback, even when wearing flip-flops. Not saying it doesn’t happen, just never experienced it.