2018 Honda CR-V - Batteries keep dying

Battery dies after one year. I’m on my 3ed battery. Dealer says that they checked out the complete charging system, everything is OK.

The problem may not be in the charging system. There may a parasitic draw that discharges the battery while the car sits. A careful logical approach can find it. The dealer has proven not to offer this.

Any aftermarket electricals such as audio, antitheft, autostart?

1 Like

How often do you drive the vehicle?
When you do drive it, how far do you drive?

2 Likes

If you have a push button start make sure you leave your key fob far from the car when it’s parked at home. If it’s near the car the car will sense it and stay in “ready to start” mode, and kill the battery.

2 Likes

Thank-you. This might be the solution to my problem. My extra key was kept near the garage. I have now moved it upstairs, away from the Honda CRV with a push button start.

2 Likes

That’s a new one on me. Can this happen? If so, too bad the dealer didn’t put forth this possibility. Is it mentioned in the owners manual?

Those of us with cars that lack push button start don’t have all the answers.

After 3 batteries dying over a 1 year span I tend to think that your driving habits may have something to do with this.

I would like to hear a response to VDCdriver’s very relevant question about that issue.

Vehicles that see sparse use will suffer from sulfated batteries. Sulfation occurs every single second that the charging system is not in use. The acid in the battery electrolyte sticks to the lead plates and is driven off when a charge is applied. However, each time more and more of the acid remains behind on the plates until the battery fails. It’s cumulative so to speak.

Additionally, some folks seem to think that driving around the block is sufficient to recharge a battery after starting the engine.

A couple of weeks ago, we had a post regarding someone with a dying battery, and it turned out that he was “keeping the battery charged” by starting the engine, and then driving once around the block. I pointed out that his driving patterns resulted in a net discharge of the battery, but he never responded.

Would I lie to you?

Seriously, I’m pretty sure it’s true.

I don’t think you’d lie to me. This brave new world of electronic convenience features has complexities unheard of in the past.

1 Like