2018 Ford F-150 - when to change Mobil 1? - Update

No problem, I doubt he’d take offense. To be honest, I don’t imagine you get any more for your trade in if you change the oil every 3k, 5k. So no point maintaining it for the next guy if you’re going to trade it in pretty early. I guarantee he didn’t change any other fluids.

I use Mobil 1 in my Acura and change it at 5000 miles when the oil meter is about 50%. It’s about $30 if you buy it on sale. I suppose engines are about $8000 now.

1 Like

Even in their 2019 vehicles, Toyota is still using the “mileage only” maintenance system. It’s 5,000 to rotate tires and inspect things, and ever 10,000 miles to change the oil and filter. I’m really surprised they’re not using an algorithmic maintenance system.

Today’s algorithmic OLMs on today’s cars are quite good. If your engine has a problem from following them, I view it as the exception.

Their claims are irrelevant when you’re under the warranty period. Your warranty isn’t with Exxon-Mobil. With that said per your owner’s manual (which is what you should go by) states that you should go by the OLM. If it says to change your oil, you should change your oil. The only exception being that you should change the oil every year or 10k miles if the OLM doesn’t prompt you to change the oil before that.

Towing puts more stress on the engine, and by extension the oil. Under such usage isn’t unusual in the least for the OLM to recommend a shorter OCI. It’s to be expected, and the OLM is correct.

You should heed the OLM’s recommendation. Particularly when you’re under the factory warranty. Mobil 1 is a fine oil, but just because you use it, it doesn’t mean you should extend the OCI, particularly when you’re towing for thousands of miles at a time.

1 Like

One more hint - check your oil after it’s had time to drain back into the crankcase if yours is an ecoboost engine, some testers have found that takes a while. Here’s what Edmunds found:

Change it according to the manufacturer’s requirements during the warranty. On the last change of the warranty, send an oil sample off for analysis. It will be around $20 and they will do a chemical and particulate analysis of the oil to see how well it is holding up or if it is getting dirty. They also have an estimated life left of the oil in regards to the integrity of the additives and if it is getting dirty.

Do what you want once it is out of warranty but I suggest an analysis so you can be smart about it.

Also, Mobil 1 can be super cheap if you DIY it as I do. Use these rebates to get a filter and 5 quarts of oil. Your truck may take more than 5 quarts so you either have an extra filter or you can get one for some other car, riding mower, power toys like a motorcycle or ATV, etc.

Check out these rebates and buy at Wal-Mart for the best price. https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/mobil-1-rebate-2019

Pennzoil and other brand oil fans can usually find similar deals and I hear the Pennz Platinum is very good stuff as well.