2017 Ford Super Duty F-250 SRW - Is oil change really needed?

I have the 2017 6.2 V8 F-250. I have driven less than 1000 miles since my last oil change in Nov. of 2018 with synthetic. My info screen says “oil change required” every time I start the engine. Is an oil change necessary at this time. Thank you and your brother for my Saturday morning info and entertainment for so many years.

Don’t think Ray ever replies here on this Forum . But did you not see in the owners manual change oil at xxx miles or xxx months ? You should change at least once a year no matter how many miles you drive.

3 Likes

Agree with @VOLVO_V70, your car is telling you to change your oil because of the elapsed time since your previous oil change. Change your oil at least once year, you might even want to consider twice a year since your driving patterns likely put you in the severe driving category (along with other maintenance in your manual that is suggested in the severe driving schedule)

2 years since an oil change? Moisture gets into a sitting engine. That is why that light is telling you to change the oil. Owners like you are why the light was installed in the first place. Pay attention to it.

1 Like

Only if you want your 5 year/60k mile Powertrain Warranty to remain in effect.

If you wind-up with an engine problem, it is entirely possible that your Powertrain Warranty has already been voided as a result of lax required maintenance, but if it hasn’t already been voided, I strongly suggest that you not tempt fate any further, and begin to follow the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule.

Ray has never responded here AFAIK, and Tom passed away over 5 years ago.

Driving so little is actually very hard on the oil. You are way overdue for an oil change; mileage is not the only determinant.

1 Like

Your owners manual says EVERY 6 MONTHS, so if you’ve gone 2 years without changing your oil, you have voided your warranty.

NOTICE the part that says (whichever comes first)
Capture

1 Like

I will probably never understand the inability of a lot of people to comprehend the “whichever comes first” proviso. They seem to focus only on the odometer mileage factor, but apparently their eyes glaze-over when they come to the “whichever comes first” detail.

And, this is not exactly a new specification. When my father bought his new '63 Plymouth, we both noted the maintenance schedule’s specification for oil changes:
"Every 3 months, or 4,000 miles, whichever comes first".

I could comprehend that straight-forward verbiage at the age of 16, so I have a hard time understanding why some adults cannot comprehend those words.

2 Likes

You have a fairly new vehicle, better too often than not enough, it is possible they did not reset the OLM, it is possible it goes off based on time. If $50 is going to mean you can’t pay groceries or rent, that is one thing. Otherwise get it done.

2 Likes

Change the oil ASAP. Either do it yourself or get it change now. Mechanics should have plenty of time on their schedule to get your oil changed in the next day or two.

If you have already voided your warranty, you could look at the dipstick and make a decision. I personally don’t change oil that looks good on the dipstick, but that doesn’t mean it’s safe.
My 21-year-old car has lived with it.

You’re playing with fire driving low miles and not changing the oil more often. It’s not only miles and time but one of the worst offenders is moisture in the engine. Driven very little the moisture will not burn off and it will cause the oil to lose some lubrication problems along with causing it to become acidic. Eventually this can lead to oil control ring problems and then oil consumption.

1 Like

Well, you don’t need to change you oil for your warranty’s sake, You have already voided your warranty by going 17 months without an oil change. So now you will have to pay if anything goes wrong with your engine, Your money, your car, your choice.

1 Like