2018 Ford F-150 -rattle

2018 F150 XLT
Makes a rat-tat-tat noise on cold start up. Was told it was the timing chain or the timing chain tensioner. $2500 to $3,000 to repair. I have done regular oil changes when the light comes on. noise started at about 63,000. out of warranty…Now 70,000 miles. Seems like others have had this same problem. I am trying to find a way to get ford to repair free it as it was just out of warranty. How can I achieve that? I have owned 6 or 7 ford trucks and will probably purchase a new 2021 when available.

But did you change at the correct mileage or time in months ? And if you can’t prove the oil change and filter were done when they should have been then you probably are not going to get any help.

Start with the dealer, be nice, be firm, don’t be abusive. Remind them how many Fords you’ve bought from them (they don’t care about Fords you bought from other dealers). If you get a solid NO, contact Ford corporate to plead your case in the same way. Ford cares how many total Ford trucks you bought…you can use that a lever. If you get anything at all, you are ahead.

Don’t threaten a lawsuit because that will shut the discussion down ASAP and IF you get anything, it will be years down the road. In the meantime, you still need to fix your truck.

1 Like

Are you using the correct viscosity oil?

The tensioner uses oil pressure to apply tension to the timing chain.

Tester

1 Like

What engine does the truck have?