2018 Ford F-150 - Engine replacement question

I purchased a 2018 F-150 XLT the end of June 2018. This pickup has the 5.0 V8. This pickup has been using oil since the day i purchased it. Recently, the pickup went through an oil consumption test and was determined to consume enough oil to warrant a replacement engine. I discovered the replacement engine is a remanufactured and not a new engine. This is incredibly disheartening considering this pickup has less than 10,000 miles. Also, I’m concerned the remanufactured engine will have a lot of used parts besides just the block. This is not what i paid for and there doesn’t seem to be any recourse. I contacted the Ford Motor Co. and spoke to a customer rep. The rep. told me my vehicle does not qualify under the Lemon Law for my state. It is obvious to me, Ford Motor Company has NO care and concern for its customers. I wish there were other options available to consumers when a situation like this occurs. Please guide me if my perception is wrong about remanufactured engines or available options.

Your perception is wrong about a remanufactured engine. Made completely as it was when new. All wear parts are replaced.

Yes, all parts calibrated to new specifications but many parts are used. For example: camshaft, crankshaft, connecting rods and engine block. Though they test these parts for wear they are not tested for the loss of strength and durability from prior use. As we all know, these vital parts of the engine endure great pressure and stress. The strength of these parts can be impaired without showing visible cracks or other obvious signs their strength and durability have been compromised.

These parts are designed, from a stress standpoint, for infinite life. That means if cyclic stresses applied to a steel part are less than half the yield stress (the endurance limit), the cyclic stresses can be applied for an infinite period of time.

An S-N curve, also known as a Wohler curve, shows this.

Read about it here:

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Testing-Knowledge-Base/What-is-a-SN-Curve/ta-p/355935

I am a degreed mechanical engineer. I studied this stuff in school, did this at work and built racing engines as part of my hobby.

Thank you for your help and giving a clearer understanding of the engine remanufacturing process. I plan to sell this pickup soon after the remanufactured engine is installed. My concern is, the average layperson does not have an intimate understanding of what a remanufactured engine is. I assume, most individuals see it as a glorified engine rebuild much like I did. When i inform a potential buyer it has a remanufactured engine he/she may shy away from any opportunity to purchase? I cannot tell a possible buyer it has a new engine because technically it is not new.

On a separate note, have you heard of any concerns regarding the new 10 speed transmission Ford now installs in the F150? Mine has a high pitched whine/whistle especially when the transmission is warm. It emits a fluttering sounding hesitation between 1st and 2nd gears and sometimes creates a clunking sound when starting the engine. I’m assuming the clunking sound is coming from the transmission. I’ve taken this issue to the dealership where I purchased the pickup and they said it’s a characteristic of the transmission???

These are separate issues in which I’m fearful will turn away potential buyers.

Again, thank you for your help!

The replaced engine will have a warranty of x number of miles or x number of months . The rest of the vehicle has 36000 miles or 36 months . You will take a large finacial hit by selling this soon . Just drive it another 18 to 24 months then trade or sell .

I doubt anyone would ask if the engine has been replaced, if a junk yard engine were installed you may need to disclose that but as far as you know the engine used oil and it has been repaired by the dealer.

I believe the Carfax will disclose this. If not, informing the buyer is the right thing to do.