2018 Ford Edge smelly AC

I have a new 2018 Ford Edge Titanium and before this a 2016 same car. The question is do you know what would cause a bad smell coming from the A/C? It’s not all the time but comes and goes. That is the reason I got the 2018 - I thought there was something wrong with the 2016 and Ford did actually buy it back due to the fact they could not get the problem solved. WE don’t know what to do - keep the car or trade it in. We really like the car and the cost of doing this is getting to be very expensive. Can you please help us with this.

This is still under warrantee, take it back to the dealer. “getting to be very expensive” ?? why would this cost you money?

From your post, they have seen this problem before.

1 Like

So my question is have YOU heard of anyone else with this problem. Sure the issue was covered by the warranty but it was never resolved and now this 2018 Ford Edge has the same smell but actually not as bad or as often as the 2016.

Thanks for your time.

Art

Maybe a Ford forum might give you better answers as there might not be very owners of a 2018 Ford Edge who post here.

Of course my question is why buy another brand of anything if you had trouble with one .

What were the odds that this was on going problem. We love the car so thought it was a fluke on the 2016.
So I’m guessing you do not have any suggestions for me.

Thought you could help

I, too, have this problem; not just with the ac but the vents in general. The hvac ducts need to be disinfected and deordorized. Get a can or spray bottle of lysol and with the blower running spray it into the air intake at the bottom of the windshield out side. Also spray it into the outlet grills inside the vehicle. You can see the technique if you search the topic on the internet. You will probably have to repeat the process every few months. It worked Ok for me. Also turn off the ac a few miles from home and leave the blower running to dry up any condensation. Bear in mind that the ac kicks on with defrost setting in cold weather.

1 Like

Tom and Ray discussed AC odors several times on their radio show. They first noted that not everyone has the same sensitivity to odors, with women generally considerably more sensitive than men. Next they explained that when the AC system cools the air, that temperature drop causes some of the water vapor in the air to condense into a water mist, which wets the inside of the AC system. So with the surfaces being wetted all the time, it’s no wonder that AC systems can develop mold & bacteria caused odors. Finally they suggested the same idea @davehinvail_151326 does above as a solution. I think they used a specialty product for car AC systems rather than Lysol.

You’d think there’d be an AC design available to work around these problems. If those wetted surfaces were somehow automatically and thoroughly dried off after every use, AC odor problems seem much less likely to develop.