Stinky AC

I just started occationally using the AC again after winter and have noticed a strong smell that seems to be connected. The only way I can describe it is “farm smell”. Kindof earthy, with a bit of manuer thrown in. Although my husband is from a farm (no animals), it has been months since we visited his parents.

Some cars have a cabin air filter, if your does replacing that could solve your problem.

You probably have mold and mildew growing in your evaporator. There’s a spray made just for this problem.

no need for a special spry…spray lysol into the air intake…have your fan on fresh air and highest spreed…

If your car has a cabin filter pull it out and spray Lysol into the inlet with the a/c on and the blower on high. Replace the filter with a new one. Then you will be fresh as a daisy.

What kind of car? Follow the advice already given and pay attention to what position your AC controls are supposed to be left in when you park the car. There are probably instruction in your owner manual. Make sure the air intake is free of leaves. (The intake is probably near the bottom of the windshield on the passenger side.) Post back if the problem continues.

Welcome to the ‘sic’ top 250. I have seen mean eyed catz, and would not want to meet one in a dark alley. Just replacing the cabin filter worked for us but if additional measures are necessary ~ good advice as far as I can tell. Fabrize work too?

Its a 2000 Ford Focus. I will check the manual and the air intake. Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m relieved that no one has mentioned dead animal.

I know there were a bunch of previous responses but replacing the filter worked for us. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Just a bit of advice to add, once you replace your filter that most likely has had some mold and/or mildew build up, each time you use your a/c turn it off at least two minutes before reaching your destination and turn your fan on high setting it to the fresh air inlet. This will help dry out the built up moisture that would normaly find its way back to your filter. You’ll get the full life out of your filter and save yourself a few bucks in the long run.

Fabreeze? I guess it would work.

I have seen mean eyed catz, and would not want to meet one in a dark alley. Rest easy, I do not hang out in dark alleys. It is actually a Johnny Cash song. There are 2 versions he did, one from the 50’s and one from the 90’s-2000’s. The later is better.

It could be a dead animal (ha)

Tuning off the AC might dry out an AC evaporator in some climates, but it would have to be off for an hour or more in the Gulf South where I live.

If there’s water in there to grow mold, your drain for the AC may be clogged. Check this out or water may back up into your cabin or your AC may rust out