2018 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 shifts a lot on acceleration

I ha Vera 2018 ZR2. The transmission seems to shift a lot when little pressure applied to accelator when cruising on freeway

Do you have a question?

You have a warranty. Have the dealer check it out.

Yosemite

1 Like

I’m guessing it has a 6 or 8 speed transmission. They tend to shift a lot if you’re not used to it.

1 Like

That was my best guess. I test drove a Kia 6 speed A/T because the dealer did not have my 6 speed M/T in stock. I did not pay much attention to the A/T since I wasn’t buying one. I normally skip 3rd and 5th gears with my M/T and only use them when I’m driving a fair distance in 25-30mph and 45-50mph speed zones.

You probably have the 8L45 8 speed automatic, there’s not much spacing between 7th and 8th gear. So I wouldn’t be surprised if it readily downshifted without much provocation at highway speeds. My guess is that your previous vehicle had 4 speed automatic or something similar, and it took more effort to get it to downshift at highway speeds. There’s probably nothing wrong with the truck.

1 Like

With an 8 speed automatic I’d say that what you are noticing is completely normal.

They’re going to be a bit more touchy than an old 3 or 4 speed automatic.

ok4450

With an 8 speed automatic I’d say that what you are noticing is completely normal.

They’re going to be a bit more touchy than an old 3 or 4 speed automatic.

+1

Thanks a lot for the information.

Duane Townsend

I’m not sure what the attraction is of these 8 and 10 speed autos are other than a mile or 2 per gallon . They shift way to much . I hate my wifes van and it only has a 6 speed. They were much nicer when they were 4 speeds with a lockup TCC .