2018 Chevrolet 1500 - Front End Shake

I have a front-end shake in my 2018 Chevy Silverado 4 X 4. 2 dealers have looked at it and said nothing is wrong. Goodyear tire said look at the front differential. What should I be looking for.

Would you describe your shake with more detail?

At what speed? All speeds? Does it get harder or faster with speed? Back and forth? Up and down? Have you tried swapping tires front to back? Side to side?

1 Like

Another dealer ? Or use the contact number in your manual to escalate the complaint to a higher level.
Don’t let Goodyear touch the vehicle for anything besides tires or you will void that part of the warranty.

1 Like

Get someone from the service department to ride with you so you can demonstrate the problem.

Please respond to Mustangman questions. And I have a few more. Any unusual tire wear? Have you changed to a more aggressive tire tread pattern than OEM?

1 Like

I have been to 2 dealerships and they said the truck was in spec.

Took to Goodyear, force balanced the tires rotated them and did a 4 wheel alignment. Right front tire showed significant wear on the edge the other tires less so. Truck still shakes at 43 miles an hour.

Sounds like a bent rim, hub or axle. 43 mph is a 2x vibration. A 1x, would be an unbalanced tire, would be about 80 mph.

Are you able to configure your truck to rear wheel drive operation only, for a test? So that the front wheels are free-wheeling, front axles not rotating? If it still shakes then , not likely caused by the front differential. It might be possible to disable the rear wheel drive system (e.g. remove the rear driveshaft) and use the front wheels as a test too. Might provide a clue.

Watching while each wheel rotates w/truck on lift might provide a clue, looking for side to side and up/down wobbles etc.

I have a little slow speed parking lot instability/shaking on my early 70’s 4WD truck, caused I believe by the front control arm rubber bushings deteriorating. Good idea w/this problem to first check for play in the control arms, tie rods, and steering rack. All that seems unlikely in a 2018, but easy enough for a shop to check. After that you could try moving the tires around, see if that makes a difference.

The tires would really have to be out of balance, whacked out, for this to happen, so I doubt that’s the cause. You could ask your shop to check the basic static balance with a bubble balancer, worth a shot. If they claim it is properly dynamically balanced but the static bubble balance is way off, that’s a definite clue.

Other things to look at are play in the wheel bearings, and wheel alignment for all 4 wheels.