2017 Toyota Tacoma - No trans dipstick

The Ultradrive name was only used for a few years, that transmission was more commonly known as the A604 or 41TE, 42TE.

The German manufactured vehicles were the first vehicles on the Chrysler lot without a transmission dipstick, the Crossfire and Sprinter. General Motors and Lexus had already produced cars without a transmission dipstick or dipstick tube.

The NAG1 and 42RLE in the 300 and Magnum in 2004 were manufactured without a transmission dipstick however because these old transmission designs had no alternative fill method the dipstick tube remained.

The transmission dipstick was omitted later on for the front wheel drive 41TE, 42TE transmissions.

They probably never changed it anyway :grimacing:. You’re right. I just figure the level is good if the trans has been operating properly.

I recall seeing info on how to check the level on the Toyota auto’s that don’t have a dipstick when I was researching fluid and filter change on my wife’s 2013 highlander. Fortunately, for me, the 2013 highlander has a dipstick, but I think 2014 and up does not. I seem to remember they (diy folks) would get the trans to a certain temp, verified by a infrared temp gun (whatever the correct term is) taking a reading at a certain spot on the trans. Once that temp was reached, they’d remove a large plug on the trans to check the level, similar to checking a manual trans or diff. A small trickle of fluid was supposed to come out of the plug when you removed it. Or something to that effect. Sounded like a pain, not that precise, but doable.

I read the link to Tacoma world. Same procedure. Biggest issue is ensuring the temp is in the correct range, which might not be accurate taken with an ir thermometer.

George described the manual trans fluid level check. He did this to contrast it with the complex procedure needed for the automatic.

1 Like

Another popular system is to get the tranny to temp, remove the fill, drain plug at the bottom of tranny. There’s a tube at the drain opening that travels to the fluid level. Pump fluid up the hole until fluid trickles down out of fill hole.

Another reason to buy a manual for the “why drive a manual” thread.

1 Like

Agreed . . . but it has to be at the correct temperature, otherwise it will be under- or over-filled, as I stated earlier

1 Like

To each his own @asemaster. Want to guess how many fuel tank sending units I’ve changed in 30yrs? I wasn’t exactly whistling Zippity Doo Dah during any of them either. While the fuel level was an inconvenience of a fairly high magnitude it surely never had the ability of turning your engine into a boat anchor. Since I have been called the same many times, I will keep my Dipstick, I have an affinity for the word… LOL

I was referring to the manual transmission fluid check procedure, not the automatic.

1 Like

Not sure about that because I never bought Mopar trans fluid from the dealer. There are a number of aftermarket companies licensed to make ATF+4, in addition to other specs like Dexron VI, Toyota WS, Mercon V, etc. I’m sure your local auto parts store has their “house brand” ATF+4. If not brands like Beck Arnley, Pentosin, should be available. I’m not sure what it’s like for you but where I was, the dealers often sold their name brand in bottles at the parts counter but use Castrol/76/Valvoline/whatever from bulk tanks for their in house work.

Either more or fewer than I have? I just had to pull the fuel tank and remove the pump module assy to replace the fuel sender in my own car. I wasn’t particularly happy about it either, but that doesn’t mean I want to go back to having to run a dipstick in my fuel tank to see how much gas I have.

With my luck, since I replaced just the sender and not the entire fuel pump, the pump will fail soon and I’ll get to do the job again anyway.

1 Like

That’s how it was when I was working at a dealership

LOL… I hear you @asemaster. I’m sort of joking as I don’t want to bring along a fuel soaked yard stick with me either…a la Ford model T. Maybe I’m a bit of a Luddite when it comes to electronic sensors…I mean we only have two Dipsticks under the hood and I enjoy using both of them.

I believe I suffer from “Sensorius Outputius” sadly. It is a condition where I personally find it hard to believe the output of various sensors that are meant to measure things for me…its been a life long struggle and I cannot ignore the number of times I have second guessed the output of certain sensors. I also cannot ignore the number of times I have gone through the troubleshooting to prove out my second guesses. I am thankful for my old school Actron CP9087 sensor tester…I use it very often. Many time my apprehension was justified…other times it was not, however the condition remains. I am seeking counseling for this condition and my progress has been minimal at best.

In the years to come, I will either rid myself of this condition or enter one of the many Sensorius Outputius Asylums that are springing up across the country. Lets hope I can overcome this condition and not need to be committed.

speaking of doubting the accuracy, so to speak . . .

Do you often use a decade resistance box?

I do, and it’s often given me the definitive answer(s) I was looking for

No push button on my '15 Camry. Bet it won’t go the 221K miles my '04 has gone so far either. We keep it be cause it is the better car. Help strikes again car manufsacturers.