2017 RAM Cargo Van - Oil burner

goes through 1/2 qt oil in 450 miles

That’s unacceptable. It has a 60 mo./60k powertrain warranty. Unless you’re past 60k, take it to a Ram dealer.

3 Likes

@godinvt. You are using about a quart of oil every 900 miles. The owner’s manuals for my 2011 Toyota Sienna and my 2017 Sienna specify that the engine may consume as much as a quart every 600 miles. I have never had to add oil between changes, but if I did have to add oil at the rate of a quart every 900 miles, Toyota wouldn’t do anything about it. I don’t know what Chrysler’s policy is.
You might check for leaks. I bought a 1965 Rambler back in 1965 and it had the balance of the warranty. It started using a quart every 500 miles. The problem was diagnosed as a bad valve cover gasket and was repaired under warranty the first time. After that, I had to replace the valve cover gasket about every other year. I could do that job in less than half an hour.

Fiat Chrysler says a quart in 2k for the first 50k and a quart in 750 thereafter but only for vehicles in personal use. I can’t find anything for cargo use. Still, it wouldn’t hurt to bring it in to a Ram dealer, even though the OP didn’t say how many miles are on it.