2017 RAM 1500 - FM static

anyone have issues with static in the FM stations the dealer is pretty much telling me i have to just deal with it because of a weak radio signal. they replaced the entire radio

In that case, this is the dealers problem,not yours. Demand that they let you listen to the radio in another truck on the lot ( that you pick out). Tune it to the same station that you get static on. If it comes in clearly, tell them you want your radio to sound like that one. Be tough, accept no excuses.

1 Like

AM radio has static when there is a weak signal. FM radio just fades in and out. That’s one of the reasons FM eclipsed AM in popularity. I suspect poor shielding on the antenna, probably under the hood, where some of the electrical systems radiate interference. Don’t let them off the hook. They just gave you the cold shoulder.

1 Like

They tell me they were talking to Chrysler and then would wait for there response then they would try thier next suggestion…so on and so forth for a week.they stated they put and external antenna on the roof hooked it directly to the radio bypassing everything and there was still static on both mine and the one on the lot

They tell me they were talking to Chrysler and then would wait for there response then they would try thier next suggestion…so on and so forth for a week.they stated they put and external antenna on the roof hooked it directly to the radio bypassing everything and there was still static on both mine and the one on the lot

Everyone here can see your answers to everyone else, just an FYI

Did they simply tell you there was static on the one in the lot or did you personally observe it?

They told me and that’s my bad for not requesting to hear it myself but I left the truck there for 1 week and couldn’t really run back and forth

It might be worth the fee to a good after market auto sound shop to look at your vehicle . It seems that the dealer either does not know or want to solve this problem.

I wouldn’t believe a word they say. If you don’t hold their feet to the fire, you’ll be listening to static for the next few years.

Does the static change in response to engine speed? If so then I would guess ignition related, bad resistor plug or something.

He’s still under warranty and the dealer is hosing him. It’s not the op’s problem to figure it out. At this point, my wife (the lawyer) would have made the dealer regret he’d ever been born.

Isn’t the dealer still working on the truck?

Simple. Go there. Find a station that has static (do they all? or just some?). Ask them to open a similar vehicle, fire it up and tune the radio to the same station and see if it also has static. Minimal effort on their part. If it doesn’t, you have a case.

Is the static present when the engine is off?

They told him the station he wants to listen to has a “weak signal” and they couldn’t do anything.

There’s no change when stepping on the gas or anything like that

Lol thxs. I’m trying to figure out who to go to above the dealer or should I try another dealer?

No I got it back yesterday. Weak signal is what they came up with. So it’s the atmosphere
Fault I guess

Your manual will have contact numbers to elevate your complaint above the dealer and yes you can use any dealer.

From various Ram forums it seems to be a problem that dealers are struggling to solve, some have had luck replacing the antenna cable, others suggest that it’s a ground problem. Any Ram dealer can look at this for you under warranty so it might be worth it to give another one a try.