2017 Nissan Versa 1 Month Old Transmission Replacement

I purchased a brand new 2017 Nissan Versa special edition about 28 days ago in the state of Texas. Over the weekend I had to get my Versa towed to the dealership as the car started jerking and then slowed down all the way to 0 mph and 0 rpm. I just got a call from the dealership and have learned they apparently have to replace the entire transmission to solve the problem, with my car only having 750 miles on it. I feel like this is entirely unacceptable to have such a problem less than a month after the purchase. My question is, do I have any right to compensation, legally or just amicably to ensure a happy repeat customer? Does this problem fall under any Texas Revoked Acceptance laws? Am I obligated to take the car back? If I am stuck with this car, will this transmission replacement at 750 miles devalue my car? Thank you in advance for any replies.

IMO, you are entitled to a loaner car until the Versa is fixed, and you are entitled to a new, not used, transmission for your car. Other than an apology for producing a faulty car, they don’t owe you anything.

Edit: I had the transmission replaced in warranty on a 2003 van in 2008. The van still runs well after another 100,000 miles. A new transmission should cure your problems. This is what the warranty is for.

1 Like

+1 to that statement right there. Stuff happens. Even high quality cars sometimes have problems with assembly. That stuff is called “infant mortality” in the manufacturing business.

Accept a new transmission, smile and move on. You may never have another problem with this vehicle as long as you own it. Or you might, but this transmission change will likely have nothing to do with any other problem.

You are obligated to take it back and the new transmission will not reduce its value. This is very rare for Nissan so build a bridge and get over it.

Additionally, if every person who received warranty protection subsequently demanded a refund or a new vehicle, there wouldn’t be a whole lot of people retaining their cars after the warranty expired, and businesses can’t operate successfully in that type of environment.

1 Like

That’s what warranties are for. They don’t guarantee no problems just that they’ll fix them. I remember my folks took their brand new 1978 Plymouth on a trip through Montana and the transmission went out. They had to get towed 80 miles and wait a few days while a new one was put in. Stuff happens.

2 Likes