2017 Mazda3 grand touring or Honda EX-L? Educated opinions please!

Noooooo… names like those creat unrealistic expectations. Something like Earth Dreams Technology gives you the warm fuzzies but means absolutely nothing, and can’t be construed to mean anything. Perfect!:grin:

3 Likes

Well, since no one convinced me Hondas new rubber band transmissions are better than an actual rubber band. :wink:
Or that Skyactiv technology is terrible, I just went with the car I liked better and have a better feeling about.
After test driving it 2 more times (because I was indecisive as could be) the seat got comfortable! Haha
I’m happy with the car.

3 Likes

Loved my 2012 Mazda3 GT and love, love, love my Mazda6 GT. I stayed away from Mazda during the “Ford” years and now the new Kodo designs and SkyActiv technology make them great to look out and a blast to drive while yielding great gas mileage. My next vehicle will likely be a CX9 to accommodate family vacations and business trips with colleagues.

1 Like

What makes you think I don’t have unrealistic expectations from the term SkyActiv?
Like wings popping out so I can drive or fly?
:wink:

3 Likes

Business trips to the cabin for fishing and hunting?

Gotta cost justify it to the wife somehow…

1 Like

There were a few decent Mazdas, during Ford’s “overlordship” :smiley:

1 Like

Decent? Yes. Uninspiring and boring? Yes. When my Mazda is in the shop the loaner car is typically a Ford vintage Mazda. Never a bad car but just kind of blah.

I might point out that not everybody is looking for an exciting and adventurous car

For some people, a blah, boring and reliable Camry or Accord is exactly what they want

I might also say that some of our bodies can’t physically tolerate a firm and responsive ride

I consider it physically discomforting, for reasons which I’ve already gone into during previous discussions

And I suspect I am by no means the only one

I’m glad you like your Mazdas, but they literally don’t work out for me.

You apparently have more choices than me, as to what kind of ride you can tolerate. I don’t know about your overall health, but you should be grateful that you are able to enjoy sporty and firm cars

1 Like

The relationship was good for Ford. One of their small car transmissions was built in both the US and Japan. The US transmissions had a lot of problems, but the Japanese units did not. Ford looked into it and found out that the Mazda factory used quality improvement techniques to reduce the dimensional variability of the pistons and seats in the transmission. Pistons sticking in their seats was the main problem with the Ford transmissions. Ford started using the Japanese quality improvement plan and their quality improved too.

1 Like

Totally agree with you here. On that idea, he can choose what car he really wants. I will go for Honda :slight_smile:

My 7 year old CX-7 has been very reliable for me since I bought it brand new. Even with its fancy turbo engine, navigation system, HID headlights, satellite radio, power doors and windows and keyless start.

I won’t deny it hasn’t been without hiccups, though. Like the screen for my backup camera not showing anything or my radio sounds like a skipping CD player no matter what setting it is on. But those have been things where I can shut the car off, restart it and everything is fine again- nothing requiring repairs nor with any frequency to even thing of having a mechanic look at it.