2017 Mazda3 grand touring or Honda EX-L? Educated opinions please!

Nice looking car!

I can tell from that particular VIN that the car was built in Japan, as was my brother’s 2010 Mazda 3 . . . I’m the one with the bad back, the one that George mentioned. Sorry if my opinion differs from others, but I consider the seats in my brother’s car to be murder on my back, no matter how I adjust them. My decidedly unsporty Camry’s seats are just fine for my back, in contrast, and that car is older and has far more miles

Does anybody know if Mazda also builds automobiles in USA . . . ?

Just curious

Thanks! I asked the manager, I didn’t want a car made here. They still do make a few Mazdas in the US but NONE sold here in Washington are. They all come off the port in Seattle from Japan. That was another stipulation for me buying the car. I’m sure that dealership was glad to finally get rid of me. When I do back, I better bring them a beer. Lol

Some Mazda 3’s are built in Mexico

Of the first 20 Mazda3s that I looked at listed in that dealers inventory, 19 of them were assembled in Mexico, that is the only Mazda3 factory in North America. It appears very few are assembled in Japan.

Maybe he was talking about the grand touring? They are bringing that car to the dealership tomorrow. I didn’t want to drive that far to pick it up. Now ill have to look at them all again. Lol

My 2012 Mazda3 GT was assembled in Japan and so is my 2014 Mazda6 GT. I will have to take a look at my daughter’s 2016 Mazda3 Sport to check where it was assembled. I had assumed it was Japan but I’m now wondering if it was assembled in Mexico (not that it really matters to me).

Why didn’t you want a Mazda built in the US . . . ?

Did you hear that Japan-built Mazdas are higher quality?

DB, I am not sure if I want the answer to that question. It is bound to make my head hurt.

1 Like

I’ve known a few people that only wanted German-brand cars that were built in Germany, Japanese-brand cars built in Japan, etc.

Might be some kind of patriotic thing, or some idea that the “parent country” of the brand builds them better, versus the same cars built here in the US

But who knows what the real reason is . . . ?

I’ve had US-built and Japan-built Toyotas, and I don’t perceive any quality differences.

Really it doesn’t matter to me, but I’ve read a couple years ago people were having issues with cheap parts on the ones coming out of Mexico.
I don’t know if its true or not. I just know I wanted to avoid any potential problems possible.

1 Like

I don’t buy that stuff about cheap parts. The company has standards and if they are a professional organization, the standards will exist for all factories. I think someone is feeding you a line because they don’t like Mexican factories.

2 Likes

What bugs me is that, for the life of me, I cannot see how that name in any way reflects on the features it is supposed to represent. How does SkyActiv describe those advantages or functions?

This might be interesting, can anyone cite a worse marketing scheme/name for automotive technology??

Why does it have to describe the system accurately? Maybe they went for an easy to remember, upbeat name.

Yeah, it’s not like a ‘hemi’ is a ‘hemi’ these days. Several makers have ‘nice’ sounding, but basically nonsensical names for their engine/transmission systems meant to maximize mpg and minimize pollutants.

As far as Mexican-built cars . . .

By all accounts, the auto industry over there is thriving, and the quality of the vehicles built there is first rate

Many Fords are built there, and sold here

I seem to remember Toyota will build Corollas in Mexico, and they will be sold here. I would have no qualms buying such a car

My nomination:

3 Likes

Don’t feel like the Lone Ranger. Googling the term, you’ll find lots of hits for agreement that it’s poor nomenclature for some great technology. :smile:

CSA

1 Like

I suppose that for car buyers that don’t start their car, but rather “turn it on,” don’t know one is supposed to check engine oil level, wait for the vehicle to tell them when maintenance is due, consider brake and tire replacement as “repairs,” rather than maintenance, what difference does it make what it’s called? :wink:
CSA

1 Like

Why not call it something really attractive then like FreeMony or HapiEnding?
:open_mouth:

“…Educated opinions please!..”

59 responses and 59 educated opinions…not bad… :grin:

1 Like