2017 Hyundai Tucson AWD "knock" noise on acceleration

Don’t do anything to the vehicle, you have a warranty and don’t tell them what to fix. Just give a good description of the problem and let them do their job.

1 Like

I didn’t and won’t remove any fuse. However, after posting this, i did some simple testing in the car and believe its a software issue and leaning now more towards the ABS. At least on mine, when the car is parked but with the engine running, nothing happens when you slowly accelerate. It only happens if you turn off the engine. Turn it back on and accelerate and bingo.
That has to be software which is a relief. Now my question at the dealership will be, " can you somehow alter the software to eliminate this noise.
Thanks for your reply Volvo.

A few of you experienced a popping sound when you first drive slowly and thought it might be the anti-lock brakes system check. Its not! After two days at the dealership and still unfinished, the dealership has narrowed it down to the AWD. It only happens when you start the car and accelerate slowly. I need to take it back where they will put small microphones around the car, then test drive it to isolate it even more. I know its coming from the front.
Prior to taking it into our local dealership, I called 6 dealerships in N Calif where I know they sell many more AWD cars and none had heard of this issue. Just my luck to have something challenging like this.
I will post again if and when they find a fix and share with others who may have this issue.`

Hi Phil. Did you ever resolve what was causing the “knock” in your Hyundai Tucson. I have exactly the same symptom with a new Hyundai Tucson AWD. The noise only occurs once and after resting when the car accelerates past 30kph. If I stop and start again immediately the noise doesn’t occur again until after the car has been at rest. Interesting I tried driving from start in manual shift rather than auto and it didn’t happen.
Now have vehicle being looked at by Hyundai dealer. No resolution after first investigation. I’m keen to hear what progress you’ve made.
Thanks
Murray

After a couple of months and 4 trips to the dealership, what I call two popping sounds when first accelerating at slow speeds up to 20mph, are the actuators in this new double clutch transmission. The dealership said think of these transmissions as manual and solely driven by the computer. One actuator controls odd number of gears and the other even, so they tell me. I think Hyundai needs a fix for this but for now, nothing can be done. its something we have to live with. Give me a standard 7 speed transmission and I’ll be happy to pay for that extra half MPG in gas.

Actually, the DCT + turbo combination has a 2-3 mpg advantage over the conventional 6-speed auto and non-turbo.
That said, last July I bought a FWD Tucson with the conventional auto after I saw all the DCT complaints on the web.

Our Tucson (AWD 2.0 CRDi Limited) was at our local Hyundai dealership for three days while they investigated the "thud’ sound which is apparent when we start from rest and reach a speed of about 30km/hr (a little less than 20 miles per hour). The noise only occurs after the car has been resting for a while so if we are simply driving, stopping and accelerating again it doesn’t occur. The dealership has determined that the cause is noise from the ABS pump. I suspect it’s not uncommon but perhaps not many drivers are attuned to the noise. Once you become aware of it then it’s quite noticeable. We are assured that it is nothing we need to be concerned about.

That is indeed the pattern when the totally-normal ABS self-test takes place. What differs from one make and model to another is exactly what the noise sounds like, and how loud it is. On some models, it is barely noticeable, and on others it can be somewhat intrusive.
:thinking: