2017 Honda Odyssey FCW FAILURE

Was driving 55 mph when RPM went to 5 and FCW Failure flashed and lost power—and chugged until I got to 20 mph. Pulled over to look up and managed to turn FCW off in vehicle settings. Made it home thankfully. How do I know if turning it off corrected the error?

Forward Collision Warning (FCW)*
If the camera mounted between the windshield and the rearview mirror detects a
vehicle in front of you when your vehicle speed is 10 mph (15 km/h) or higher—and it
determines there is a likelihood of a frontal collision—the system provides you with
visual and audible warnings.
If you do not brake in time or take preventive action, BRAKE flashes in the display or
the FCW indicator blinks, and a beep sounds continuously.
Changing Settings
Determine the warning timing, or turn the system off. Use the interface dial to
make and enter selections.

1. Press the SETTINGS button.
  2. Select Vehicle Settings. The vehicle must be in
    Park (P).
  3. Select Driver Assist System Setup
  4. Select Forward Collision Warning Distance.
  5. Select Long, Normal, Short, or Off.
  6. Press the BACK button to exit the menu.
    Important Safety Reminder
    FCW cannot detect all objects ahead and may not detect a given object; accuracy
    of the system will vary based on weather, speed, extreme interior heat, and other
    factors. FCW does not include a braking function. It is always your responsibility to
    safely operate the vehicle and avoid collisions.

Thank you. I read the same and turned FCW off. I don’t recall any vehicle near me at the time, but for now it is turned OFF. Will see what happens :blush:

I’ll bet that was a surprise! I better read my manual, glad you seem to be good for now.

Yes Indeed it shocked me!! Thankfully, nobody slammed into me!! Was scary :frowning_with_open_mouth:

You should give the dealer a call and see if there is a software update. if there is it may solve the problem of it happening in the future.

1 Like

Will do!!! Thanks :blush:

+1
Additionally, I suggest that the OP check his front camera to ensure that there isn’t any debris blocking the lens.

Excellent suggestion!!!

Cleaning the windshield in that area might help. Some vehicles use radar gadget for that function too, not sure how your vehicle is configured. On some there’s a radar unit that gets damaged b/c of a minor collision bending the front grill.

I did clean windshield and there has been no damage to the front grill or hood or bumper. We are calling dealer tomorrow as suggested to inquire about a software upgrade. I am still amazed that my defensive driving kicked in as simultaneously I threw on hazards, checked all around us—nobody there—and at 20 mph looked for a firm shoulder to pull over. I felt like we were in a “Danger Will Robinson” episode. Several times earlier ice from overhead lines had fallen, but this happened a good 45 minutes later. Am still shocked :flushed: