2017 Honda CR-V Drivers Door Draft

Hello,

I have a 2017 Honda CR-V that I purchase last May. Up until the cold weather hit it’s been a great car, but now I can feel a very noticeable draft coming into the drivers side door via the door handle, power window buttons, and even down by my foot. It is most noticeable at highway speeds when I have air recirculating, but can also be felt with other settings. I can even feel the air blowing when I am at the car wash and the car is being blown dry. I took it to Honda and there were no leaks in the vapor barrier or ripped butyl rope. My next step is to wait until the weather breaks and use a leaf blower to try and find the leak and seal it myself. Any help is appreciated!

The vapor barrier and the various seals/gaskets were the right start. Sometimes a shop will fix something inside the door and mickey-mouse the putting things back together again task, thinking nobody will ever notice. The other place to look is the window seal. The one that minimizes the amount of water getting into the door that hits the window. Perhaps that seal is shot. If so it would allow more cold air into the door too. Remember that you can always compare how the driver-side internal door construction should be configured based on inspecting the other doors.

I would remove the inner door panel and then do the leaf blower test.

If there’s a leak in the vapor barrier, or out the holes in the vapor barrier, it should be pretty evident.

Tester

I have a 2015 Honda CR-V Touring with the same door draft problem. Love the car except for this.The problem didn’t become evident until the outside temperature dropped down to around 30 degrees and I was driving on the interstate. It became unbelievably cold in the car despite the heat on full blast. The left side of my body was freezing. The cold air was coming through the door handle and door locks. It was this way for all 4 doors. When I called the Honda dealership the service manager said that is just the way it’s designed and there wasn’t a fix. I’m ready to buy a different car if this can’t be fixed. I’d appreciate any suggestions.

1 Like

Here’s a typical car door vapor barrier.

As you can see, the vapor barrier has openings for linkage for the door handle and wiring.

That’s why the inner door panel should be removed to see if these openings can be better sealed.

Tester

1 Like

Thank you for the great replies, I really felt lost on this issue and hating my new car. When the weather breaks I will definitely be doing the leaf blower test with the door panel on and off as well as on the other 3 doors (fingers crossed it is just the drivers) The picture of the door without the panel is a huge help, thank you for that! I will keep everyone here posted on my progress and get pictures if possible from the mechanic who fixes our woes.

1 Like

UPDATE!!

So I couldn’t take it any longer and took it to the dealer again. A mechanic drove with me and I showed him the issue. To really make the wind blow I created as much of a vacuum as possible by turning re-circulation on, and cracking the sun roof. The breeze could be felt on the passenger side as well, so I’m assuming all doors are flawed. He said Honda has really been dropping the ball on quality the last couple years. To verify we drove a new 2019 CR-V with 23 miles on it…SAME ISSUE. So this is 100% a Honda design flaw, sad really. The dealership mechanic was nice enough to use felt to block as much air as possible free of charge, and it works pretty well. I need to go back in and have the other doors done. Unfortunately not the air comes out of the lock mechanism with more force because it is blocked at the other buttons If you are interested in doing this yourself he said a flat-head screwdriver and pop the console piece shown up. Pry where I have the red circle in the picture below. This is what it looked like after the job.

I can only attach one picture as a new used so here is a shared album link