2017 BMW X3 - dead battery after detailing

It’s quite possible a mat type battery could require a different charging algorithm for optimum use, even if it used the same lead/sulfuric acid chemistry as a standard battery. Assuming the owner installs the correct battery for the car, the question remains, what benefit is achieved by “registering” the battery? Is that done just as a check to make sure the correct battery type was installed?

Shouldn’t be a lead acid in your car, Bmw hasn’t used them for years. Yours should be a black AGM battery, if it isn’t something funny’s going on.

The charging algorithm for a 5yr-old battery and a new one arent the same for this particular vehicle

1 Like

Ok, I think I understand, so the reason for “registering” the battery isn’t so much to make sure the correct type is used, but just to inform the ECM that it’s new rather than old, and to make the corresponding algorithm changes that’s best for a new battery. Makes sense.

2 Likes

It needs to know both

1 Like

Life is so much simpler with older cars, as long as the battery fits the allotted space, it’ll probably work fine … lol …

1 Like

What’s funny is your lack of reading skills. :roll_eyes:

I don’t own a BMW.
AGM batteries are lead-acid!
Same chemistry as old-school flooded batteries.
Different physical arrangement.

1 Like

I actually meant JohnHughesHeldt X3, yes they are lead acid but they aren’t kept charged the same which is what the guy was asking. But thanks for not being a jerk about it, really makes helping people out on here worth doing :+1:

Yet an AGM battery is a lead acid battery. And why does it have to be black? Mine isn’t, and is working just fine.

1 Like

It’s like calling the incandescent (1157 etc.) brake light bulb “halogen”. Makes me cringe.

1 Like

… then there are the folks who think that every engine description has to be preceded by a “V”.

We get things like this fairly frequently:
I have a V-4 Toyota.
No, you have an I-4 Toyota.

Or… I have a V-4 Subaru.
No, you have an H-4 Subaru.

Wouldn’t be simpler–as well as accurate–to just state that they have a 4-cylinder engine?

These things make me cringe, almost as much as the people who can’t spell the model of their own vehicle
(Buick LaSaber, Hyundai Tuscan, Nissan Rouge, etc)

1 Like

Had a V-1 motorcycle, V is for vertical🤪

1 Like

Did you use it to attack London in the 1940s?
:wink:

Close—With the exhaust baffle removed, sounded the same.

1 Like

Yes precision is important. I have a v twin l head in my lawn mower. :grin:

Ya, but I long ago gave up on distinctions like that, especially when dealing with the public or office staff. Customers don’t understand or want to hear “there was water intrusion to the RF kick panel that started some corrosion, resulting in a 4volt voltage drop across the harness connector to the window module.” They want to hear “your sunroof leaked and shorted out some wiring.”

Yeah, all I know is that I can’t use my charger on a glass mat. I don’t care why. So call me the little people, but I like simple explanations, at least to start. Things like your appendix burst and we took it out, or you broke your arm and we set it. If I want I can look at the X-rays later.

I still don’t understand the difference except if I ever have one, I’ll have to invest in new equipment and it’ll be a lot more expensive. I do understand why you shouldn’t jump your lawn mower with your car though. I prefer simple explanations not math formulas. Just me, the dense one.

I KNEW there was another catch-all that drives me crazy!
Thanks for refreshing my memory.