2017 BMW X3 - dead battery after detailing

Ihad guy detail my car-3-4 hrs back my work lot came back its dead battery? Would not jump ?

It is possible if the detailing included the engine compartment some got wet causing the problem.
Or, could just be coincidence.
What did the shop performing the detailing say?

Maybe the detailer was running the stereo system while doing the work, and that somehow drained the battery. Usually wouldn’t happen unless you had a powerful aftermarket stereo, or the battery was nearly dead already. Suggest to start with a shop battery/charging system test.

Did detailer open the hood or trunk?

1 Like

The detailer had doors, hood and trunk open while they were working. My guess is your battery was on its way out and detailing just ran the battery down. Your battery is original, isn’t it? Recharge the battery and get it tested, it is likely due for a replacement.

10 Likes

Some people like to listen to music too if you had a good stereo system in it.

When I worked we were having problems with the cleaning crew so I made a surprise visit Saturday morning to see if the lab floors were being done. Never forget boom box held up to ear with right hand, left hand pushing the mop, while dancing a jig at the same time. Owner threatened to sue me for causing trouble.

So yeah replace the battery and enjoy a clean car.

3 Likes

Vehicle doors open for 2 to 3 hours, this is why detail shops have battery chargers. Parking lot auto detailers don’t use battery chargers.

1 Like

My 02/18 battery died this spring. Too much sitting over winter. Got a new one yesterday.

I agree with Mustangman. Have it tested so that you don’t get stranded if it is on the way out.

If it is the original battery, just replace it and be done with it

That said, replace it with the correct style battery. If it was an AGM, then replace it with an AGM

And this being a BMW, there’s a chance a scanner needs to be hooked up and the vehicle needs to be informed there’s a new battery . . . and what type . . . or that new battery might not last as long as it should.

5 Likes

On a 2017, it’s more than a “chance”…you will need to register the new battery with the PCM. Hence why I drive old cars which don’t contain all these high-tech features.

3 Likes

Agree to me it is not worth the expense or worry whenever something goes wrong.

Even as far back as 2008 BMW’s needed the battery to be “registered” with the scanner. At least my 08 650i did.

2 Likes

From 2002 for BMW. The 7 series was the first then the other models as each 3, 5 & 6 series was updated.

I believe the reason the computer needs to know about a battery install in some newer cars is b/c the computer provides the charging smarts for controlling the alternator, and the charging algorithm is sensitive to the battery somehow. Older car alternator designs, that function is built into the alternator and not particularly sensitive to the battery.

The reason is the car tries to keep the battery about 60% charged as more than that use’s fuel to charge to 100% when it isn’t really necessary for most driving. It relearns the “health” when a new battery is registered :+1:

1 Like

If that’s the case I’m surprised it lasted 5 years.
Lead-acid batteries don’t like being kept partially charged.
Last battery I replaced got a full charge periodically and was still working when changed out at 9 y.o.

3 Likes

I really doubt a 2017 BMW has a lead-acid battery.

2 Likes

Unless it’s a hybrid or EV with lithium it’s a lead-acid starting battery.
And yes, AGM is a lead-acid battery.

Yes, it is. You are absolutely right. But somehow the conventions of naming in the auto industry have made it seem that an AGM and a wet cell battery are entirely different. And to go with the crowd I follow that distinction. Because (to paraphrase my college physics professor) and idea doesn’t have to be true to be useful.

The difference is that AGM batteries generally need a different charging strategy than can be found on an old-fashioned battery/alternator system. The bottom line, if you have a Euro car that uses an AGM and service info states that it needs the battery registered to the car for proper operation, that’s an additional operation for the shop to perform, and more money I can charge you.

1 Like

AGM batteries are built differently than flooded, but they work on the same electro-chemical principle.
They both decline from sulfation more quickly if not kept fully charged.
I think it’s a cheap trick for car makers to shorten the life of an expensive battery to save a few drops of fuel on a fuel efficiency test.

1 Like