2016 Toyota Tundra oil consumption

My 2016 Toyota Tundra, 5.7 V8 engine with 35k miles uses a quart of engine oil every 5k miles. It has done this since day one and always serviced by the dealer.

It is a flex fuel engine. My dealer says Toyota thinks a quart of oil use every 1,200 miles of driving is normal on their engines. I told them that I have had many Toyotas over many years and none ever used oil until this new one I bought, and expensive too it was, and that this was unacceptable.

Anyone else come across this problem? What should I do with my Tundra?

Yes, we are constantly seeing the problem of people that think using ANY oil is abnormal. A quart in 1000-1200 mile is consider normal by most manufacturers.
The only way around potential oil usage is to go to a EV.

2 Likes

You don’t have a problem! Some engines are "tighter " than others and I even saw a Toyota Matrix manual stating that 1 quart per 800 miles was acceptable and no cause for worries.

Some background info. The CAFE fuel mileage standards are getting ever tighter. As a result, car makers are specifying thinner oils such as 0W20 synthetic to reduce friction losses. Even the tiniest increase in gas mileage pays off bigtime with millions of vehicles produced… These oils are excellent lubricants but are very thin and compared to a 5W30 oil, they more easily slip past the oil control rings.

Today’s vehicles are tighter, and my wife’s Mazda 3 uses virtually no oil between changes with 0W20 synthetic.

My 2007 Corolla originally specified 5W30 oil, because good 0W20 oils were scarce, but later bulletins now say that 5W20 or 0W20 is OK. I’m sure if I switched to 0W20, my Corolla would use some oil, and would not worry about it.

If you bought a new Jaguar in the 60s you could expect one quart of 10W30 oil consumed every 1000 miles!!! That was in the owner’s manual. Jags of that are had very large oil sumps.

2 Likes

One quart of oil per 5000 miles is perfectly fine. In fact many engines will consume more than that. I’m not sure where the idea came from that no engine should use any oil. That has never been true.

Since there’s nothing wrong with it just keep driving it.

2 Likes

You don’t even have a problem

1qt/5k miles is WELL within normal parameters

No manufacturer would consider that a problem . . . not even close

Some manufacturers consider engine oil usage of up to 1qt/600 miles to be acceptable . . . so you’re golden, compared to some others

2 Likes

I have a 2009 Dodge Challenger with the 5.7L Hemi V8, around 130K miles.

It uses about a quart oil every between oil changes (every 6000 miles or so).

Just check your oil regularly, and keep it topped off. You can buy a whole lot of oil for what it would cost to “fix” or replace your Tundra.