2016 Subaru Outback

I have none. Never owned one.
What’s YOUR opinion of the car? YOU are the potential owner.
If it’s used, what’s your mechanic’s opinion of the car? He can look it over, and that’s something none of us can do.

Anyone mention front seat comfort? One of them seems to get a lot of complaints on the front seat and people don’t know it until they take a long drive.

There are a lot of people on this site that really do have a lot of knowledge but the feel of a vehicle is different for everyone plus the biased opinions we all have. Will not name but there is a very good automobile I don’t even want in my driveway. I assume the person named Little Debbie found this place via the internet so why not do a search and find actual reviews by places that do that. For example on a 2016 Subaru Outback Edmunds.com had postings by over 100 Outback owners.

1 Like

You say you have 2016 Outback. We test drove 2014 Outback and it had hill assist. That one feature sold us on Outback because we live on a hill and we have made fool out of ourselves a few times going from reverse to drive with our Sentra. If I remember correctly, this hill assist button was in the middle section ahead of the gear stick. I find it difficult to imagine that they removed that feature in 2016 Outback.[quote=“johnznot, post:19, topic:105577”]
The Outback is also very noisy on the highway with the windows down
[/quote]

Do you have factory fitted Yokohama Geolander tires? If yes, many on Forrester forum attribute noise to the tires. I have Geolanders and I can concur, but we never roll down the windows.[quote=“VOLVO_V70, post:18, topic:105577”]
Wouldn’t be simpler to just use the build it yourself feature on the Subaru web site?
[/quote]

No, because when I ordered Forester, I played around that design feature on the website and that time, while I could design everything I wanted, if I remember correctly, I did not get the price. The variation between federal emission and CA PZEV costs a bit. Plus, Subaru’s trim design is quirky and that adds to the price variation. I can’t tell you how much I wreaked my head between Premium and Limited trims due to Navigation. If I wanted Eyesight in Limited, it would come with Nav, but not in Premium, or something like that and I absolutely didn’t want that Nav. I could not figure out why until I found this website. It made things very clear very quickly.

@little_debbie One more thing about all Subaru vehicles, they have heated front seats. Toasty rear end when its freezing outside is awesome. Specifically, Outback, they have air vents in the back too. I liked that feature, at least my kid won’t freeze in the back (because Subarus take time to warm up and for the heat to start in the cabin).

I don’t think you remember correctly. And the build it yourself features will also locate vehicles that make a close match to your choice.

The car rolls back even on slight hills when it is not expected to do so. Cars with “regular” ATs do not roll back in similar situations.

Pretty sure that is why they have that thing called a brake pedal.

1 Like

If you haven’t driven an Outback perhaps you shouldn’t offer advice on the vehicle.

I have a 2014 Legacy 2.5 with the CVT but it is pretty flat where I live so I have not noticed what you are experiencing. I had a 2017 Outback for a day while mine was being repaired recently (under warranty). I didn’t notice that in the Outback either. But both roll quite a bit when put into park on even the slightest incline, and I’m talking an incline you can barely tell. In fact sometimes I don’t notice the incline until the car rolls. Both did this.

Now before anyone jumps in to remind me about the parking brake, I always set the parking brake. The parking brake is set electrically so at first I though it was because I released the brakes before the parking brake was fully set. Now I wait until the parking brake motor stops before releasing the brakes, and it still rolls some, like a regular transmission rolls when you don’t set the parking brake and the car moves until the transmission hits the pawls.

That’s no longer true as a general statement. In the ever-lasting struggle to meet ever-more-impossible CAFE requirements, manufacturers lowered the torque converter drag on new transmissions some years back to save that zillionth-of-a-mpg. Regular automatic trannys can no longer be expected to “hold” cars from rolling on inclines. My 2005 will roll backwards on an incline, and I’ve driven many cars over the past ten years all of which (with regular automatics) will. The Torque Converters lock up mechanically at speed, so the “looser” TC connection at idle has no effect on operation.

Many decades ago a car that rolled backwards on an incline was considered to be exhibiting a sign of a failing torque converter. It was expected that the drag in the TC fluid should allow the engine to hold the car. Times change.

1 Like

Thanks so much Noelm. I appreciate all of the information.

As usual, mountainbike is 100% correct, and if someone owns an automatic transmission car manufactured during the past decade that does not roll back on an incline, then that car is “an outlier”. Rollback on an incline is the norm with modern automatic transmission cars, but Outback is somewhat unique in having its “hillholder” feature.

That feature used to be limited to its manual transmission cars, but Subaru expanded its use to all of their Outbacks about 7 or 8 years ago. However, I would venture to say that most Outback owners–like the owners of other makes–don’t read their Owner’s Manuals sufficiently to even know that the feature can be activated by the push of a button.

The new Impala has the hill hold feature, too

I notice the roll for a very good reason. when backing out of my driveway I have to be very careful and somewhat precise so I do not roll into my neighbor’s new Porsche Carrera and Mercedes which they park in the street.
I suppose there is a lot of discussion on this subject (and many others) because there are a few individuals who have a lot of time on their hands and nothing else to do.

Well John when you retire after 40-50 hard years, you can sit around too and add your advice for nothing. As I sit here my list keeps getting longer though so its not all roses.