2016 Subaru Outback clunking liftgate

The power liftgate on my outback is making an intermittent “clunk” noise when opening. I took it to the dealer and they said nothing was broken/bended and just need some lubrications. They did that and the noise went away for about a week and came back again. Any ideas?

Still under warrantee? take it back to the dealer, tell them to try again. Keep all your records.

2 Likes

… and if the dealer is unable to remedy the situation, then the OP should contact Subaru of America. Contact info can be found in the Owner’s Manual.

However, the OP should be aware that a problem such as this would almost surely NOT be covered by the Lemon Law in his state. The boilerplate language in those statutes normally includes something along the lines of… “a problem that materially affects the safety or drivability of the vehicle”. Because a clunky liftgate does not materially affect either safety or drivability, they do not have to buy the car back from the OP.
:thinking:

Take it back, tell them their fix lasted a week, try something better. If that doesn’t work then my experience is to find another dealer which has competent mechanics.