2016 Outback

AND resurface the rotors.

Me thinks Mike Quinlan has problems with everyone he deals with.

4 Likes

Sorry for the confusion that comment was meant for common sense guy.

What the heck??? I had a bad experience with a service adviser who did not respect the time frame agreed to, then pulled a bs move, and then charged me extra labor for a job I was already being charged for that included the removal and reinstallation of the outer tie rod. If you like being ripped off and duped that is your affair. I had already booked the appt and specified the work I wanted done.
You dealership guys are a bit precious in thinking consumers do not have the right to go elsewhere, and that we have no right to specify the parts we want installed on our car out of warranty. Old Mopar guy if you had told me that as a customer who has bought two cars there, odds are your superior would have asked you to leave the dealership.

After I was the GM for three years I bought the place and WAS the owner, and no amount of profit would have been enough for me to deal with someone like you. One reason I left that career was to avoid having to deal with customers.

3 Likes

Maybe a little high, but not by much for dealership work. Parts cost for rear pads I’d guess around $80, one hour labor to replace the pads, clean and lube the slides, and maybe another hour to resurface the rotors, so $80 plus 2 hours labor. There may have been some inspection time in there too for this and that. If the hourly rate charged was $125, that’s the $250 labor and $80 for the parts, add in the $65 for the oil change, sales taxes, etc, everything sounds in the ball park. You don’t need to use a dealership for this sort of work, routine stuff, especially once the warranty expires. Your well-recommended local repair shop would probably present a smaller invoice for this job, but not a lot smaller. My judgement: not scammed.

What the h3ll are you talking about? It’s a simple point. You misstated what the labor charge included. Resurfacing rotors is not something that is part of the job of replacing pads. Most cars you don’t need to remove the caliper to change pads. But to resurface or replace the rotor you do. It’s significantly more labor so stop misleading the OP about the fairness of the bill by omitting a large part of the job.

And if your convoluted reasoning includes that wasn’t needed- you weren’t there. You have no idea what shape the rotors were in.

You try to be condescending but it just looks foolish…

mikequiniano0 was not replying to you, he was replying to common sense answer, If you look at the top right of the post, you can see his name. I think the prices for your repair job and oil change are just about what you would expect at the dealer. 72 000 on the back brakes, you must be an excellent driver.

When I’m in my northern location I’m in a very rural area . I can drive 20 miles to town only stopping twice for stop signs. Main Street of town has just a couple of traffic lights.

You’d be surprised (or not) to hear just how long brakes last while I’m operating the vehicles that strictly “live” there.

Driving in the kind of traffic and through as many controlled intersections as in my southern location is whole different ball game.

Can’t say anything about where Ilene drives or how she drives, but I can say there’s a big difference in locale.
CSA
:palm_tree::sunglasses::palm_tree:

Good then you would not have tried to rip me off. Whatever happened to the customer is always right?. You are just spinning bs about your past because if you had worn an owner’s hat successfully, you would have a little more perspective, and you would not be quite so quick to slag me. Your opinion has been noticed and considered, but I reject your conclusions. However you last line is instructive to me, pretty much tells me everything. I can only empathize with the poor souls who were forced to deal with you as customers. Its not something I would have put up with.

I do not know if people do not read here, or just regularly misread comments, but folks please stop taking sentences out of context and applying them to matters they were not about.

For the original poster, I have already said that the price was about par for the course at a dealership. I also raised the fact that the job could and did involve more than a pad swap, and accounted for some of the extra time, such as resetting the parking brake, and bedding in the pads.
Given the mileage and age of the car, and the fact the rotors were still good would indicate that the surface was pretty good. The work on the rotors was probably just taking a grinder to the outside lips of the rotors. For what its worth you can buy new rotors for the rear of that Subie for under $20 each.

And last thing, the conclusion to my original anwer to the poster was as follows

‘‘That said, fully removing the caliper bracket, and rotor to clean up, handbrake adjustment or electronic handbrake reset, resetting abs, test driving it and breaking in the pads take extra time as does a good suspension examination. Its easy for places to make shortcuts, and while you may pay a bit less, you may also be receiving less. Kind of like paying less for lower quality brake parts and then having to replace them at half the mileage you got out of the originals.’’

Removed by request

My friend I am 57 years old, and while it has not happened often I have had to return and complain about uncooked meat, or a draft beer from a line that was clearly not cleaned and so the beer was funky. I gather if I were to serve you the wrong dish and not what you ordered you would sit there and smile while thanking the waiter? And from experience I will state the flying first class is typically a nicer experience than flying coach, but I usually fly coach or charters as it represents a better value to me, and I am neither super tall or overweight in need of extra space.
Why are you trying to teach me pointless lessons in being more polite when dealing with someone who is dishonest or a business providing poor service? FYI, I do go out of my way to let people know when I think they have done a great job.

Of course I wouldn’t have been overjoyed if he had ignored my request, but because it was really just a shot in the dark, I knew from the outset that it was possible that he wouldn’t have accommodated my genial request. And–being a realist–I would have accepted any refusal with equanimity .

What made it more possible that he would accede to my genial request is the reality that he and I do not have an adversarial relationship. It’s really nice to be able to walk into the service department and the parts department, and to be greeted by name, by smiling people with whom I have a good working relationship.
:thinking:

One of the major things that escalate conflicts, is the failure to acknowledge the reality of what the other person is saying. I appreciate your life advice, and mine to you is to not generalize so much and to be less quick to judge someone.
I am glad life in the country is peaceful and relaxed. I am sure the big city dealership I was talking about is not quite as personable as the one you like to hang out at.

Removed by request

Waiter, check, please! This thread has gone WAY off the rails.
@cdaquila

5 Likes

Seems a little harsh, were it me, I’d tell the customer why we don’t have customers source parts and let it go.

I’m frequently on internet forums and it’s unbelievable how the most innocuous topics will escalate.

My Indy charged a bit less than $400 for replacement pads and brand new rotors on my 2014 outback rear brakes.