2016 Hyundai Veloster - Clunks

2016 Hyundai Veloster (turbo, manual) 60,000 miles.
I hear a “clanking” noise when I first release the clutch to pull off. It doesn’t do it if you just push the clutch in, only when in gear pulling off in 1st gear.

My non-mechanic guess is a bad cv joint but it could be a number of things. A Veloster forum mentioned rust in various drive train components as a possible cause. If you bought it new, you should still have some drive train warranty left. If not, either take it to a dealer or a good independent transmission shop.

My prior VW Rabbit did something similar, ignored, but seemed to be related to a failing clutch cable; b/c when the cable finally failed (broke), then cable replaced, sound much less noticeable. So my guess — just a guess – is that while your Velo probably uses hydraulics instead of a clutch cable, something is a little amiss in the path from the pedal to the MC to the Slave to the release bearing and pressure plate. Is your Velo’s slave clutch cylinder inside the bell-housing, or outside? If outside the bell-housing, that’s where I’d be looking first.

Other possibilities in no particular order

• crankshaft thrust bearing
  • worn clutch disc
  • broken clutch pressure plate
  • transmission
  • differential
  • inner/outer cv joints

I think if I had this problem I’d ask a helper to stand by the side of the car as I took off from a stop in first gear to see if they could isolate where exactly the sound seemed to be coming from. May be easier said than done. If you’d say you’ve driven your Velo fairly aggressively, rapid accelerations etc, and nothing else pans out as a likely cause, best course might be to just replace the clutch parts and hope for the best. If you’ve driven your Velo gently, clutch should still be ok. My Corolla is 200K miles, original clutch. 120K miles on the Rabbit’s clutch, still going strong when parted company.