2016 Honda CR-V - Tires already?

My 2016 Honda CR-V LX has 25,000 miles. At a recent oil change the service rep told me my tires are getting worn and need replacing. These tires are original to the car. I am a 61 year old woman who drives like one. I keep tires checked and do not stop or start on a dime. I have never had to replace tires at 25K before. I know you don’t have esp, but does this sound possible? Are the tires on a new CR-V really that sorry?

You can get a second opinion at any tire shop but I think you will find that you do need tires. many times the tires that come on new vehicles will have a shorter life that the ones you will buy to replace them.

2 Likes

If you have never rotated the tires, then Yes, you need new tires on the front most likely.

I have rotated them on schedule. They must be cheap ones.

So you need 4 new tires? Well, winter is coming up. It is a good time to get some.

1 Like

You could always ask what the reading is on their tread gauge at the tire shop/mechanic. If it’s a 5 or better (4 is pushing it) then you can get by a little while longer. If less then that, then replace them.

I’m really surprised that nobody has already steered the OP to another current thread on the same topic:

Cindy–This topic has been discussed many times over the years, and as you will see from the thread whose link I posted above, your situation is not unique to Honda. The bottom line is that vehicle manufacturers specify tires that satisfy these needs for them:
Low cost
Good fuel economy
Low cost
Smooth ride
Low cost

The probability of getting OEM tires that are long-wearing is… remote… no matter what make or model of car you buy.
:thinking:

1 Like

Thanks. I was surprised as this wasn’t the case in 89 or 01 when I bought new hondas. Disappointing for a brand I have recommended repeatedly.

If you read through that other thread for which I provided a link, you will see that your experience is typical of most other owners, and with most car makes. I have had a couple of cars over the years whose OEM tires provided decent tread wear, but those were the outliers, and most of my cars have needed new tires after 25k-30k miles.

And, this is not a new problem. As I noted in that other thread, my father’s '66 Ford Galaxie needed new tires after the OEM tires had racked-up only 16k miles. They were worn evenly, but the amount of treadwear mandated replacement at that very low odometer mileage.

My wife drives a 2018 Cadillac XT5 that currently has 23,000 miles on it. It came from the factory with Michelin Premier tires. I did an oil change service and tire rotation this week, and by the way the tires are wearing I expect to replace them at around 30,000 miles.

So, your experience is not that unusual.

If the OP drives in snow, I disagree. Anything under 6/32 on an all-season tire is not good in snow.

1 Like

I will totally agree with that

Sorry but wrong. All season tires aren’t good in snow anytime but the 3 peak tires are OK in light or occasional snow. They aren’t quite winter tires but better than so called all season.

Brand new Michelin Premier tires only have 8/32" tread. They claim to have as much traction at 4/32" as they have new because of the tread design. Most other new tires today only come with 10/32" or less.

My Michelin Premiers are now at 3/32" but I’m ordering new tires tomorrow. If this was the beginning of summer, I’d keep driving on them until the fall. Looking at Michelin Cross Climate + tires for replacement.

As for the original question, it is a good business practice to get a second opinion. The service rep may be just “upselling” you. They get a commission on those upsells. But when it comes to tire, take it serious, but always get that second opinion first.

3 Likes