2015 Volkswagen Tiguan - Change oil but not filter?

Yes, for a new VW oem engine. In fact if you can get a new VW engine installed for $12k, and it has a good warranty, that’s a pretty good deal.

I don’t understand the vin involvement, seems like all that would be required is the license plate number. But maybe there are subtleties I don’t understand about warranties. I don’t own any new cars with warranties so not much experience there. My vehicles are older.

so an engine is that much money it seems that it cost more then the car itself i guess im screwed but i will not stop without a fight i will see about the buyout for the car and get an engine i hope cheaper and in a year sell it thats the best i can do i am a widow and 67 years old i dont have 12000 for this

In a message dated 1/23/2019 10:43:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, cartalk@discoursemail.com writes:

What inspired you to take the vehicle to the shop? Was this for a recall repair or were you experiencing a failure?

Be sure to have pictures of the oil filter showing the brand, part number and possibly the date code to help disprove the claim that the filter has not been replaced in the last 3 years.

I believe she said she got either a letter from VW to bring it in or a dash code or light or something that instructed her to bring it in. Sounded like it was running fine until they worked on it.

It would really be nice if she could link up with a mechanic or shop owner that could help sort all this out.

I can tell you that if I had driven a running car to the dealer for what was expected to be routine service, only to be told that “whoops the car no longer starts and now you need a new engine”, there is no way on Earth I would pay a dime toward that “service”. The fact that it’s a leased car should make this decision easier. Remember, it’s a lot easier to refuse to pay an alleged debt than it is to pay and try to fight corporate to get your money back later.

I would suggest leaving the car at the dealer, not sinking another dime into it, and not buying out the lease at the end either. At this point, you need to be in touch with corporate VW about the damage which apparently happened while the car was in the dealer’s shop, and make it very clear that you’re not going to pay for a new engine for a car that was running fine until the dealer touched it.

If no satisfaction from VW in a month or two, I’d stop making the lease payments as well since the car is apparently undrivable. What to do at this point depends on how much money and property you own compared to your state’s bankruptcy exemptions and nonbankruptcy judgment exemptions. If the answer is that you stand to lose little or nothing even if VW takes the matter to court and wins a judgment, then I wouldn’t waste any more money fighting with them. If they see you’re “collections proof” they may just write it off. Otherwise, if/when they try to come after you for a deficiency, get an attorney to fight the lawsuit.

1 Like

Make a complaint to your local Better Business Bureau. They will look into it, get all the facts, and give you an opinion, all at no charge.