2015 Kia Sorento headlights too dim

Can we report the issue to NHTSA and try to force a recall. We bought it used didn’t realize how dim my wife drove daytime only n

Email Address – To file a complaint without one or for other assistance, please call the Vehicle Safety Hotline (Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236 /

i just submitted my complaint with the NTHSB at https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ i guess if they get enough complaints maybe they will do something about the headlight being dangerously low

I would not raise your hopes for the manufacturer resolution

NHTSA is well aware of the lighting issues, but even new Sorrento years have “poor” NHTSA rating in NHTSA tests: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/kia/sorento-4-door-suv/2019#headlights

if you happen to own top trim level, you might be lucky, but if not, it will be no “fix”

at the best, you can entertain the idea of researching if improved headlights from the top trim level can be fitted to the base level

1 Like

Headlamp output is significantly specified and regulated. The luminous intensity and beam patterns have both minimum and maximum specifications that are quite complex. The document(s) encompassing those specifications are agonizingly detailed and lengthy. The chance that they passed all of the regulatory testing and their headlamps do not meet this specification is minuscule. So them doing anything about it is unlikely if they pass the requirements. That being said, there are ways they could be worse than others that meet the bare minimum standard as the luminous intensity specification allows for light distribution variations “under the curve” that could contribute to poorer visibility at certain distances and under certain conditions than another design that also meets the minimum specification. The regulating and testing bodies do not do qualitative analysis. They use instrumentation and procedures to ensure testing is the same for all manufacturers. As such, they can easily pass testing yet not look “bright” enough to the consumer in actual use. If it was my problem, I would invest my efforts in improved lighting options rather than fighting a significantly uphill battle to get the manufacturer to modify what I have…