2015 Honda Crosstour lugs

I was not around. My daughter took her 2015 Honda Crosstour to a Honda service dept, she has been to before

For oil change and tire rotation

One tire lug broke. They said it was rusted??

Looks like it torqued off

Besides this Honda dealer, discount tires has changed tires.

To me maybe last person really tightened the lug, and when dealer tried to remove added a little extra time and broke it??

Dealer charged to replace, than wrote lugs should be replaced, but replaced only one while the rim was off??? Makes no sense, replace them all for price of one time labor and parts???

Any thoughts if dealer should have charged???

Another picture

What’s that substance I can see on the threads?

Tester

That looks like stretched zinc plating to me. (doesn’t look like anti-seize to me) I can see the thread peaks are farther apart on the last 2.5 threads up from the bottom before the break than further up.

The last person to tighten that lug before the dealer… over tightened it. When the dealer removed got to it the lug was ready to fail and did.

2 Likes

Sorry you experienced this frustration. Hard to say what caused the problem, could have been a simple sample defect only affecting that stud only. I wouldn’t replace all of them just b/c one broke myself. Being a suspicious sort, I’d carefully inspect the others though. If any had overly- stretched or the thread spacing was uneven, other signs of rust or other thread damage, those I’d replace.

I expect you know that if you want them all replaced they’ll be happy to do it for you, but I expect they would charge you their normal labor rate. It takes 5 times longer – more or less – to replace 5 than to replace one.

To me surface rust

That is my thinking

Well thinking the hub is pulled

Should have replaced all the lugs

To me not that much more time

No experience w/your car’s configuration. On my cars the wheel studs can be replaced without removing the hub . But I would have to remove the brake drums and possibly other brake parts first, so you may have a valid point that some of the work will have to be repeated if more studs need replacement. Perhaps the shop wasn’t able to get in touch with you at the time? Many shops have a policy to not do optional work without first getting permission from the car owner.

Absolutely

The shop typically needs crystal clear authorization from the customer before performing additional work

The date and time is noted, as well as verifying just who is being spoken to

And it goes without saying, you need to explain to the customer in no uncertain terms exactly how much this additional repair will cost them . . . how much for parts, how much for labor, plus tax

If the lug stud broke on removal, it’s not the shop’s fault so yes, charging to repair would be normal.

I do think it’s odd to say the rest of the studs on that hub needed to be replaced but that they only did one, but who knows why? Did they not have more studs/nuts in stock that day? Was your daughter not there to OK the work? Etc.

Looks to me like the lug was just overtorqued and the threads seized.

2 Likes

If the bolts were over tightened on zinc plated lugs and the zinc plating cracked, then the zinc would no longer protect the steel and it would rust.

1 Like

Or perhaps just cross threaded and run down with a buzz bunny. The heat generated destroys the coating and later the two parts are forever fused together.

If it was mine and I had the lug with the stud end still in it (as shown in the pic), I would slice a section of the nut off lengthwise and look to see if it was cross threaded…but I am curious enough to do something like that. :wink:

Thanks

Love how cars and other things are built so sound now a days!!!

Some good a lot bad.

Great

Built to last

Thanks

Not sure how to equate build quality with some meathead over-torquing or cross-threading a lugnut…it’s only metal and there’s no feasible way to completely eliminate those risks.

5 Likes

True. But when things fall apart shortly after you get them. Well

I know it seemed like in the early years, lugs did not break that much, but we use to hand tighten also!!!

Professionals use a torque wrench to tighten lug nuts.

Tester

1 Like

Lug nuts/studs have been breaking as long as there’s been lug nuts.

3 Likes

Since Crosstour was based on the 8th Gen Honda Accord, re their wheel lugs interchangeable?