2015 Civic - Transmission reving up on start

Hi.
I bought a CPO 2015 civic (automatic) with about 30K miles about 6months ago.
The dealer had two of them at the time. I didn’t think much of it, but I noticed one of the cars didn’t rev up when I started the car - I would start it and then the car would immediately sit right at 1000rpm or so at Idle. The other one, which I bought revs up to about 1800-2k RPM and then it will sit at 1500RPM. Over about 1-2minutes after starting the car the RPMS will slowly drop to 1000RPM and it will stay there.

If I change gears (into drive or reverse) before those first 1-2minutes the engine will rev up a bit in between gear changes to about 2k RPM, but if I wait for the car to settle down to 1000RPM this won’t happen.

My question is:
should I be concerned about this at all - is it something to have looked at? I’ve noticed a touch more vibration out of the car recently …maybe just because it has gotten cold, but it got me wondering if there is something going on with it.

When you first start up the car,the rpm shoots up and immediately goes down.It should settle at around 800-900 rpm when warmed-up.

Do you think what I described is an issue then? it does come down from 2k-1.5k immediately but then it takes a long time (1-2min) to get to around 1kRPM.

Thank you

Your other thread says you are due for an oil change . Just go to the dealer and ask them if you have a problem . You also need to know just what warranty coverage you have on this 3 year old CPO vehicle.

Yes I do intend to ask about this when I get the car serviced. Just hoping to arm myself with additional information before I go in. especially if I go with a dealership I haven’t worked with before.

Car is under 7yr (from 2015) or 100k power train and 12k 1yr bumper to bumper. Which is why I’m trying to get a sense of any problems soon as w/ bumper to bumper I’m a bit better protected.

If I tell you that the fast idle is all wrong and you relay that to the service writer that is a good way to alienate the person quickly. It is always best to describe your problem or question as best you can. If you don’t agree with the answer or solution then you can escalate up the chain .

I appreciate your response and thoughts. That said I’d just like to gain as much insight as I can. I don’t intend to take any advice here as fact and suggest to someone in the service department they are wrong. I plan to let them do their job, but I always hope to have as much knowledge as I can, as I am a layman.

If you have any insight on there being an issue or not I’d love to hear your perspective - if not I’ll await some others to share any insight.

The engine in the other car was probably warm from someone driving the car before you, the elevated engine idle speed occurs if the engine is cold.

1 Like

Unless it is extremely cold out, the ENGINE (not the transmission) should drop to a more normal idle speed much quicker than 1-2 minutes. Are you sure of that time frame?

Explain the situation when you take it in for service.

Thanks for the insight - Nevada I think your right about that - I didn’t even think about that fact.

NY, I will double check tomorrow morning, but at the very least I would say Yes about :60 seconds + for the rev counter to go from 1.5KRPM down to about 1000RPM. And this is not in very cold weather - was about 50F today.

Jake, you apparently have a Ford Aspire, this thread is about a Honda Civic and you posted a link for Hyundai parts .
@cdaquila Me thinks Spam.

Sorry, Jake . I meant to write John . And I still think it is Spam.

It wasn’t Jake who posted the link, it was the user who posted after him. He has made some other posts that weren’t spam, so I think I’ll let it sit for the moment.

…that post wasn’t made by me. the single post made by “JonHgaarg_144864” was clearly spam though.

To follow up, the car is taking about 3minutes to get from 1500rpm down to under 1000rpm where it rests after a cold start. The day I test it was about 45degrees outside. I have a service appointment for my car this Friday. I will follow up about what they say if its of any use to other civic owners.

If you “goose” the accelerator slightly, it should reduce the fast idle even faster.
Please try that, and let us know what happened.

Maybe his other posts weren’t spam, but this one has all the signs of being so.

1 Like

I Just ran a test. I gave the accelerator a bit of gas at 4 times during those 3 minutes while the car sat in park. No real change was noticeable - although maybe the 4th time it pushed the fast idle to start dropping around the 2:45 mark.

Well, that sure works on carbed engines to allow the choke to open. But it’s of little use with a fuel injected engine.

1 Like

I disagree.
It works quite well on my current fuel-injected vehicle, just as it did on my previous fuel-injected vehicles.
No, it doesn’t reduce the idle speed as much as it would have on an old carbed engine, but it does reduce the idle speed by a few hundred RPMs, and without the possibility of stalling.

Do a test: time how long it takes for the idle to drop with and without blipping the throttle. You are adding fuel to the fire by blipping the throttle, which will cause a very slight temperature increase.

Regardless, nearly 3 minutes to drop to proper idle speed when the ambient temperature is 45 is indicative of something wrong.

Ok - thank you all for the bits of information. Often going to a mechanic without any knowledge you get run over so I’m glad to have heard some thoughts hear.