2014 Subaru Legacy parking brake won't release

electronic parking brake will not release

That’s too bad. Did you have a question? Would you still have any of your factory warranty left after 4 years?

Is there a recall on the electronic parking brake?

I’m not aware of one, but you can go to Subaru’s website and look. They have a section where you type your VIN in and they’ll let you know if there are any outstanding recalls (and if the website isn’t working, the dealership can do that too)

If you take a look in your Owner’s Manual, you will find an illustration of the tool (and its storage location near the spare tire) that is provided for manually unlocking the electronic parking brake. Yes, it is apparently a bit of a pain (IIRC, 100 cranks on the tool), but at least there is a way to get yourself going until you can get to the dealership for repairs.

I’m curious about how many miles you have on this 2014 Legacy, because I have a 2011 Outback–which is mechanically identical–and the electronic parking brake has never malfunctioned in the 8 years/85k miles that I have owned it.

Addendum:
Was your seatbelt secured before trying to use the power-release for the e-brake?
There is an electronic interlock, and there can be problems if you don’t have your seatbelt secured when operating that device. In any event, the tool that is provided will get you going.

1 Like