2014 Hyundai Elantra - Moans

My 2014 Elanta makes a low “moaning sound” at low speed or between 1000-1500 rpm’s up to about 40 mph which occurs when going uphill. Any ideas what this is?

Can you tell were the noise is coming from?? front of car, back of car, left side, right side, middle, under hood, under dash?? Need more info please…

Low moaning type sound comes from front of car I believe when going uphill or any road inclines where trans auto shifts 1st to 2nd or below 40 mph it seems.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I would check or have checked the transmission fluid level…

and the noise goes away above 40 mph? May require using a some mechanics ears under around the front of the car, under the hood…

Does it make the noise in Park or neutral if revving the engine to the 1000-1500 rpm range??

OK…thought about trans fluid…not sure if fluid is low or not, but is not leaking for sure. I was thinking maybe torque converter …hope not!
I also have a loud sound from rear right tire side & was told need new rear shocks & tires wearing on inside/cupping a bit…tread depth is still OK…Have 2 front snows still driving on from 2-3 seasons…

If you listen while standing at the front of the car, engine idling, do you hear the sound then? What if you listen in the same location, but with the hood open?

Leaking vacuum hoses, or leaking intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets, can make weird sounds like this. However, usually those noises are most apparent at low speeds and idling, less so on 40 mph up-hills. Yiu may have two different noise sources; if so the 40 mph uphill sound seems most likely to be from the transmission or the engine intake air pathway.

I do not think your car has a tranny dip stick to check the fluid level. it has a transmission fluid level check plug on the side of the transmission. this shows you how it should be checked.

KMA Draft ver (nhtsa.gov)

1 Like