Whining noise

Starting about a week ago whenever my car goes above about 2 thousand rpms I start hearing a faint high pitched whining sound, increasing to a more audible level as the rpms increase. I’ve ruled out breaks and tires, which weer my initial thoughts, and I think it’s something with a belt or the engine now.
I have manual shift 2002 Hyundai Elantra, if that helps. The car still performs fine, but I have noticed a slight decrease in acceleration speed

Try having a friend rev the engine in park with the hood up. Use a short piece of hose as a stethoscope to try to locate where the sound is coming from. Be careful to avoid moving parts like fans and belts.

I also have a 2002 manual Elantra and have what seems to be a similar noise. High pitched whistling or fast warble coming from the hood. Sounded like a belt to me. Asked my uncle and had him listen while I revved the car. He said it was the power steering belt. Cheap fix according to him.

Thanks for the info. I’ll give it a try and look into getting it fixed

just replaced the alternator on a chevy truck for this same problem, only the mother-in-law could hear it, but our fancy batttery/starting/charging tester found it. if it’s not the belt, have it tested.