2014 Ford Focus - A long transmission service overview mostly saying no paperwork

I made one of those a ‘few’ years ago:

1 Like

On a recent “Best of” podcast, Tom and Ray were joking they were planning to sell a 1964 Dodge Dart model kit, that would look like Tom’s car, dented front fender, hood won’t open, roof won’t go up, and a family of raccoons living in the back seat … lol … seems like a good idea, I think those kits would have sold well.

1 Like

GRAVEYARD CARZ built one called the “little dead wagon” and was shown at SEMA.

2 Likes

In addition to the costs involved, new wiring harness, pcm and flash, there’s a strong possibility you’d need to go the BAR referee . . . if you care about ever getting the car legitimately smogged again

and not only are the transmissions obviously different, sometimes the same size engine isn’t even the same, depending on automatic vs stick shift. The rear end of the crankshaft might have differences and it’s possible you might not easily be able to hook up a stick shift. I’m not sure about the Focus engine, but aren’t some crankshafts machined to accept a pilot bushing/bearing . . . ?

Seems the OP has left the building. I guess posting his rant was all he wanted…

But WE had fun! That Little Red Wagon brings back some great memories!

Oops…lol
We know what you meant thought…

I fixed it

You are an EXCELLENT observer! :partying_face:

1 Like

DMP, you’re the expert here on what’s inside auto trans and the other car parts that makes them work. Converting a Focus from auto trans to manual, definitley going to be challenges with the shift linkage and the computer configurations . But those are probably solvable. But would there be economically insolvable problems b/c of the way a manual trans connects to the crankshaft/flywheel vs the way the DCT connects to the crankshaft/flexplate/torque converter? Just curious is all.

Lol, Thanks but I am no expert, I know a few experts and I am not… But I have rebuilt quite a few in my day…

I am pretty sure (but not positive) that most modern day engines, unlike some of the older ones, have the crankshaft flanges/pilot hole machined (drilled out) to except a torque converter snout as well as a pilot bearing for a manual transmission input shaft, keep in mind some clutch pilot bearings are pressed into the flywheel… So good chance no problem there…

But you still have to convert it from a 2 pedal to a 3 pedal, that includes swapping out the brake pedal assembly…

A lot of needed parts…

Clutch Pressure Plate Bolts, Clutch Flywheel Bolts, Manual Transaxle, Dual Mass Flywheel, Both CV Axles, Clutch Kit, Manual Shifter Control Cable and clips and stuff, Clutch & Brake Pedal assembly(s), Hydraulic Tube/line from the Clutch Master to the Slave Cylinder, Tube/line from Reservoir to Clutch Master, Clutch Master Reservoir Assembly, All Brackets, Clips and Hardware for the above part in order to install, all Brackets Mounts, Bolts etc for the Trans Mount(s), All the parts needed for the Shifter conversion…
That does not include any computer replacement (possible wiring) and or programing that will be required to get the CEL off… Remember that now the computer still thinks you are in park… lol

I read where a guy did this and it took him about 80-100 hours doing it at home on the weekends

Like I said at one time when my BIL was restoring his 62 fairlane he converted it to manual. It came without the engine and trans and he had one. Didn’t seem like it was a big deal and said all he needed was the clutch kit. Assumed that was the pedal and hanger etc. been doing this stuff for over 60 years though and got the lifts and everything else. Not something I would contemplate though. Probably helps if you’ve got the engine/trans combo ready to drop in and no computers back then.

I read where a guy did this and it took him about 80-100 hours doing it at home on the weekends

There’s mention of a vid he did of the process.

If you can do this kind of work yourself and hunt down the parts you’ll need, it’s feasible. If you’re paying someone to do it, you’d be better off buying one built that way in the first place. Personally, a 2014 plain jane anything is probably too old for me to consider messing with, especially an inexpensive econobox…unless of course the intent is to turn it into a tire shredding power monster :crazy_face: