2014 Chevrolet Cruze - Car won't start and it is not letting me have the key back

The car will not start, the doors will not unlock and the key will not come out. Disconnect battery cable and reconnect battery and the car starts.

Ask shop to check battery and charging system.

Clean your cable terminals and the battery posts.

1 Like

The Cruze had electrical issues, and overheating issues… IIRC one of the electrical issues was something with the battery ground cable having a bad crimp on one end making it loose power…
Also ignition switch issues or something in the steering column… again IIRC…

1 Like

try turning the steering wheel one way or the other and
see if that releases the key.

1 Like

Call me a geezer but if I happen to shut the car off before putting it in park, the doors are still locked, and Danged if I can find the unlock button. I have had to start the car again and put it in park to unlock the doors.

Yeah I know this is not the op s problem but already told to check/replace the ground and/or switch.

Could result in a dangerous situation if you had to get out of the car immediately, and couldn’t get engine to start. A small hammer in the glove box might allow you to break a window.

No emergency at the post office. I stay away from dangerous place. I do have one of those combination belt slicers/window breakers in the door pocket of each car, just in case I drive into a river, when the ice has melted that is. I don’t know where I got them. I think the grand kids school was selling them and other useful products as a fund raiser. I declined to include life jackets and rope though. There is just so much you can carry without a trailer. :grinning:

1 Like