2014 Cherokee Rear Differential

Look up ‘carrier’, there’s lots of them.

1 Like

Just curious, w/this configuration does the entire axle need to be replaced? The part that is bolted to the springs? Or just the differential components, ring gear/pinion/case etc?

It has an independent rear suspension, so only the center differential would have to be replaced, if that’s where the problem is.

Yeah that opened up a whole new world… lol… I normally do, but a lot of times they show the same thing, guess it made a big difference this time…

There have been multiple pictures and links posted about what the rear diff is and looks like, that should answer your question I would think…

Before installing any used replacement I would imagine you should remove the cover and inspect the guts and I would count the teeth on the Planetary Gear and if it all looks good, then I also pull the cover on the existing, installed axle and count the teeth on its Planetary Gear and if the same count you are good to go,

If the tooth count is different and your jeep is 2-wheel drive then it’s just going to have a different gear ratio, either for more power (more teeth) or better gas mileage (fewer teeth).

If the tooth count is different and your jeep is 4-wheel drive (either part-time or full-time 4X4 systems), then it’s a No-Go. You cannot mix ratios.

However, an easy way to determine your actual gear ratio is to check the tag attached to the differential cover by the cover bolts. On the tag there should be some numbering such as 3.54 or 3.73, either of those numbers will give you the stock axle ratio.

To verify, or to see if that ratio has changed, you can jack up the rear axle and support it with jack stands. With the transmission in neutral, rotate the rear driveshaft by hand. Count the number of driveshaft revolutions required for one revolution of the tire.

If the driveshaft turns approximately 3-1/2 times, you have a 3.54 ratio, etc. It is helpful to use a grease pencil or chalk to make a reference point on both the tire and driveshaft while performing this test.

Number of Turns Approx. Gear Ratio
3 3.05 : 1
3 - 1/2 3.54 : 1
3 - 3/4 3.73 : 1
4 4.10 : 1
4 - 1/2 4.55 : 1

But any case, you need to peek inside…

Good Luck!

1 Like

That only works if both axle ends are rotating together, if one is not turning then the other is turning at twice the normal speed, can be very hard to do if not a posi carrier especially if you can’t see both ends … However with the AWD rear diff being like it is that will make it easier to see and check…

I ordered a rear diff for a Tracker or something like like that years ago that had a standard 4.11 rear and if it had the 31X10.5 tires then it had a 4.56 rear gear, I can’t tell you how many I ordered from salvage yards that I had to open up (drop out 3rd member so harder then inspection cover) to see what gear was in it… I would have built it but NO gear etc evadible for it back then…
Had a few yards get mad at me but I said send me the correct rear and I wont send them back in piece’s… lol

2 Likes

Anyone know a mechanic on Long Island, NY that may be able to help us? Thanks

But it says carrier assembly

I agree. Who know maybe it is the drive shaft but first I need to find a mechanic very verse in this.

THe mechanic I was going to bring it to could not find the cause of the sound which is a loud grinding when driving and turning the car right only. And it sound like it’s coming from the front of the car.
Brought it to Jeep and they replaced a part(forget) and it still made the sound. Said they diagnosed wrong. Brought it back and they said when they removed the drive shaft the sound went away so it’s def the rear differential. It’s my wifes truck and we have a 2 yr old so I don’t want it to break down. Need help ASAP. Thank you

That sort of sound would more likely be the differential rather than the driveshaft. Could be the driveshaft of course, or something else as well, like a bad wheel bearing. Wishing you best of luck in finding a knowledgeable shop to assist in narrowing down the culprit.

Yes, that’s what JEEP said. The differential. THey said when they removed the driveshaft the noise stopped confirming it was the rear diff.
Yes, loud grinding/binding when turning right.

Really need mechanic.

I do not know anything about them, but they only work on jeeps and from what I have heard they get high marks from the jeep community.

Lift Kits, 4x4, Suspension, Offroad Upgrades - Goonies Garage (gooniesgarageli.com)

Thanks Weekend. I feel like I called them and they said they only work on the Wrangler type Jeep’s but will def call them again.

Even if they don’t work on your model Jeep they should have suggestions for other shops that do. Ask for recommendations if you strike out with them again.

A low used price at junkyard means there is not much demand for them. Or, there are a ton in junkyard.