2014 Audi Q7 - Just these four problems

We have had four major problems with our Audi Q7 - 2014 Prestige. 1) excessive oil consumption, 2)Excessive break squeak, wear, and dust on wheel wells (black at all times), Timing chain/Tensioners ($3K for that one), and Evaporative drain clog that the dealership caused but we had to go to an auto center to repair/replace ($2K and car will never be the same after mold and moisture).

Maybe its time to consider buying another car.German cars seems to fall apart after the warranty ends.Its your call,sink money into this endless money pit or get something that will go 300k miles with regular maintenance like a Lexus.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the update.

2 Likes

By reports here, car engines seem to lose oil at a greater rate (i.e. quarts/mile) now than 10-15 years ago. Part of the reason I expect is a tendency toward higher-performance turbo designs in order to achieve the car-selling points of both good mpg and good power. So perhaps your Q7 has a high performance engine; likewise, higher performance engines require higher performance brakes, and those tend to do what you describe, squeaks and brake dust. Timing chains experience higher forces w/higher performance engines, especially with a driving style of rapid accelerations. So earlier failure isn’t unexpected. AC evap drain clogs aren’t related to engine design so much, but are a common complaint here among many makes/models. You can see what others have said by using the forum search feature, link above right on this page. However a higher repair fee to fix this problem is expected for a higher performance vehicle, b/c space tends to be at a premium and the parts tend to be all crammed together in order to fit, which causes the mechanic to take longer to effect the repair.

And I guess I expect higher performance from a 60K mile car that cost $70K plus!

1 Like

Well, there’s that … lol :wink: Seriously, given what you say, you’d probably be a happier car owner with a couple of econoboxes, Corolla’s, Civics, non-turbo Mazda3’s, etc, in your stable, rather than a single Q7. Plus you’d have money left over to spend on dining out & vacations.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing, but didn’t want to say it. Even a 25 year old Toyota Corolla with 200,000 miles would probably have fewer problems and significantly lower annual maintenance and repair costs. It would probably use little to no oil, either, assuming that it received reasonable maintenance during its life.

1 Like

Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc are awesome cars during the warranty period. Once the owner has to take over the repairs they start singing your tune Timing chain is routine maintenance, the price you have is high but not out of line for a high end car. Brake dust is from the pads not the car, a different brand of pads with anti squeal hardware may solve that. I got nothing on the drain clog.

1 Like

Routine maintenance? I don’t think so. A timing belt is routine maintenance. A timing chain does not have a recommended replacement interval, and is supposed to last for the life of the engine (although many don’t due to improper maintenance and/or poor quality tensioners and guides). Many people drive a Toyota Corolla or Camry hundreds of thousands of miles on the original engine, without having to touch the timing chain, but on a luxury car, that’s “routine maintenance”?

1 Like

Image result for Audi Q7 - 2014 Prestige timing chain

How Reliable Is the 2014 Audi Q7? The 2014 Audi Q7 is rated as one of the least reliable luxury midsize SUVs . J.D. Power and Associates gave it a score of two out of five, which is one of the lowest scores a vehicle can earn.Aug 25, 2017

6 Likes

If the PCV system is a plastic assembly under the intake manifold, it could be causing the oil loss if you see a lot of smoke. It is expensive to have a mechanic do the work. I don’t know what kind of system you have but some systems are easy to check and replace. Seven more years of driving would be nice if you have an easy fix.

So my questions for you are these.
How often do you change the oil; both as to miles and time?
How often do you raise the hood to check the oil level?

Since you have an oil consumption issue along with timing chain issues my opinion would be not often enough and never in respect to my questions.
Correct me if I’m wrong.

3 Likes

Unless I missed it, I don’t think that you have defined “excessive” oil consumption.
How much oil do you have to add between oil changes?
And, how often do you change the oil–in terms of both odometer mileage and elapsed time?

Yes, and we have had several reports in this forum over the past few years specifically from Audi owners who stated that, when they complained about excessive oil consumption, Audi’s corporate folks informed them that the consumption of 1 qt per 600 miles is considered to be “normal”.

Whether that accepted standard applies to the engine in the Q7, I don’t know, but it would be interesting to find out if the OP complained about that issue to the folks on the corporate level, and what the corporate reply might have been.

1 Like

If that’s what “Prestige” smells like, I’ll pass. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

I would add a third question: “Do you use the euro-spec oil specified or whatever Jiffy Lube happens to have in the barrel?”

1 Like

I agree, you should expect more. These cars require expensive maintenance to avoid expensive failures. If you are the original owner, was that maintenance done properly?

The oil Audi requires is the good stuff, approved by VW Audi. Oil use and the timing chain life heavily depend on that. The A and B service checks are comprehensive and should have caught the clog. Brake dust is just normal and should be washed off regularly.

If you bought it used, the previous owner likely did not follow any of these maintenance procedures.

And this model is a bit problematic anyway. Nothing we here can do about it. Sorry.

3 Likes

Is this really true, or is this just the excuse which VW/Audi trots out to shift blame for these kind of problems onto the owner? I am just having a hard time believing that VW/Audi timing chain guides are made of some material which just happens to depend on some additive in their “Euro spec” oil to avoid wearing out, just as I am having a hard time believing that their piston rings and/or cylinder bore treatment has some special interaction with this proprietary oil.

I cannot believe that the owner’s outcome would be any different using Mobil-1 or Pennzoil or any other standard synthetic motor oil of the proper viscosity–or even something close to it–versus the “Euro spec” stuff. This, of course, assumes reasonable oil change intervals. If someone changes the oil every few years, they are going to have problems with any modern engine, no matter what type of oil they use.

I believe both Mobil 1 and Penzoil synth meet the VW specs so no problem there.

It is the stuff that comes from a white barrel labled “Sinthtech” or worse, conventional oil that the Quickie Lube places squirt in that they sell for a premium price. And the owners that think that oil is oil, right?? and do their changes every 15,000 miles or so whether it needs it or not. Those owners are the part of the problem. Audi is the other part.

1 Like

I believe it’s really true.

It’s simple. If you drive a 2017 Chevy, you use oil that the label states meets the Dexos spec. If not, you’re using the wrong oil. If you drive a 2017 Audi, you use oil that the label clearly states meets the 502.00 or 504.00 spec (whichever is appropriate). If not, you’re using the wrong oil. Period.

Now that’s not an iron-clad guarantee that you won’t have engine wear, but if you do of course the first thing any mechanic will ask is “Are you using the proper oil?” If the answer is no I’m going to point to that as the first likely culprit, along with changing it and checking it regularly.

And don’t get me started about going to Walmart and grabbing a Fram oil filter for your Eurolux car.

3 Likes

Just to avoid problems, I use Liqui Moly 5W40 synthetic oil and a Mann filter in my 2014 Audi. Not terribly pricy for a DIYer, but worth it, IMHO.

2 Likes