Audi Q7 2007 timing belt

My car starting misfiring so I did a diagnostic on it. It threw out a handful of codes. Long story short, KISS-kept it simple and replaced the spark plugs and coil packs…same codes still came up.` Did a smoke test and clearly saw a leak coming up from one of the tubes (couldnt tell exactly where without climbing up onto the engine. Talked to a local foreign car mechanic (30 years in biz) and after telling him the symptoms, fixes and the current codes…hes saying its the timing belt and to just quit it. Donate it or let it run until it doesnt. Is this really a thing? Ive always traded cars in and last one we gave to our Son (Yukon new in 2002). Is this jiust the way of foreign cars?

Not sure why you think that and you need someone to actually look at this vehicle . If the timing belt broke it would not run . I really don’t have much faith in that mechanic if he really said to run it till it quits . It is not going to quit in your driveway but more likely to quit in front of a large truck .

1 Like

27 hours of labor to replace the timing chain on the 4.2 liter engine plus up to $1,000 in parts. Is it worth this much to you?

Is this the v6 or v8?

I’d take it to a good German car mechanic, have it actually diagnosed, fix the known problem.

Belt isnt broken…yet. And yes, ive had a belt break on me as I was going onto the freeway in my honda CRX. Im aware of that danger 1st hand. He was very knowledgeable and surprisingly talk done through the codes, etc… Clearly could’ve collected dough and had me bring it in for another diagnostic (as all mechanics like their own done).

| VOLVO-V70
December 9 |

• | - |

kregerkj_172858:

. Is this jiust the way of foreign cars?

Not sure why you think that and you need someone to actually look at this vehicle . If the timing belt broke it would not run . I really don’t have much faith in that mechanic if he really said to run it till it quits . It is not going to quit in your driveway but more likely to quit in front of a large truck .

It doesn’t have a belt, it has a timing chain. If that’s going bad, you’re in for $$$. But get it checked.

Is it a timing belt or a timing chain?

Exactly. 2007…worth less then the fix but when do you stop paying for diagnostics and chasing the dragon. Its a bummer.

| Nevada_545
December 9 |

• | - |

27 hours of labor to replace the timing chain on the 4.2 liter engine plus up to $1,000 in parts. Is it worth this much to you?

It’s a V6.

You don’t have a timing belt, you have a timing chain (chains, actually) whether you have the V8 or the V6 (you don’t say). If this is the V6, the timing chain is on the BACK of the engine so it must come out to be repaired. Not sure about the V8.

I think that is where the 27 hours labor and $1000 in parts @Nevada_545 posted comes from. Sooo figure $4500 or so to repair.

But I’d get a second opinion on that diagnosis ESPECIALLY if that 30 year local foreign car mechanic actually used the words “timing belt” when your car clearly has a timing chain in either engine.

5 Likes

You ask that question and in another post you say you want to buy a used Mercedes 430 as a first vehicle for your son . :thinking:

1 Like

Any chance of posting those diagnostic codes you referred to? You mention a tube leaking during a smoke test. Any air leak at all can cause rough running as air is bypassing the MAF sensor.

And no, this is not the way of foreign cars. Mention is made of a timing chain in the rear of the engine. Well, the late mode 4.0 Ford for example also has a timing chain in the back of the engine.

You might need to a find another 30 years in the business mechanic. The one you talked to was wrong about the timing belt and if he actually told you to drive it until it quits…wow. What if it quits while trying to cross the railroad tracks with a 100 car freight train coming or with a Kenworth 2 cars back at highway speeds?
And where is this 30 years mechanic on the smoke test issue? A number of questions I know…

3 Likes

I’m
Sure he said chain. But I know everyone knows what I’m referring too. 2nd opinion in the works…

Kelly Patterson :kiss:
253-468-0513

No they don’t know what you are referring to because they are two different things .

Also not really a good idea to have your name and phone number on an unsecured open web site.

2 Likes

I asked him if people actually throw these away once the timing chain needs to be replaced and he said that people drive them until they die or donate them. He didn’t actually tell me to drive it until it stops. People are very hardcore in this site. I feel like it’s the “Nextdoor” app. :joy:

I’ll list the codes but I’ve already researched them all and I can go $100’s into fixing all just to still need chain replaced.

Yes. Like I mentioned in another post, I can spend $5k on a car that’s reading no codes with less Miles that I can drive until he’s 16 (hoping the Ford bronco gets here by summer) and easier to work on or spend $4k+ on my car with higher miles needing tires + as well. I was going to give him this Audi next July.

To the person that mention my name & # in previous reply… I reply from my email sometimes and it’s automatic. Don’t know how to delete posts yet. If I get a call, it’ll go to VM :muscle:t5:

Just click on the pencil icon at the bottom of your post, and you can delete your name and phone number.

So far, all mechanics have known to check on if it’s a chain or belt (I’ve talked to 3). It’s my bad habit to say belt!
All said to start with plugs and coils.
Replied from email so it was automatic with my signature. Calls go to VM :muscle:t5: Trying to stick to the actual issue of the Audi Q7 :+1:t4:

I understand your dilemma, and if it was me, I’d do a bit of research, write down the history of the problems (including the smoke test) but not any sort of diagnosis, and then take it to a completely different shop that specializes in Audi. You can research shops to some extent at the CarTalk website in the “Mechanics Files”, and also the usual internet review sources. The second opinion will cost you some but it will help you make decisions. Opinions that throw you fast, dramatic conclusions are really not helpful.