2014 Acura TSX Sport Wagon - Cruise control issues

Cruise control only sets occasionally. Cruise control turns on, but will not set most of the time. Does not produce error in the cars computer so Acura dealer can’t diagnose or fix

The most likely cause is the computer has detected some problem with the powertrain, steering, or brakes, and is disabling the CC. Usually when that happens a corresponding diagnostic code is stored in the computer memory. So the dealership is correct to check for diagnostic codes; however sometimes those codes get removed if the computer subsequently thinks the problem has disappeared. Two ideas

• When CC fails to engage, take car immediately to dealership. Hopefully the code will still be there.

• Ask dealership to double check the computer memory, checking this time not only for current codes, but also for any history codes. When a diagnostic code is removed from current memory, it is usually not removed entirely. Instead it is moved to the history portion of the diagnostic memory. There’s another section they should check too, for “pending” codes. The shop should check the memory in all the applicable modules (computers), not just the engine module.

Although there’s only a small chance of this issue, have someone drive behind you and check if your brake lights are on when the problem occurs, just to rule that out.

+1
I hope that the OP isn’t insulted by this question, but…
Is the Check Engine Light lit up when this problem occurs?

I ask because some people drive around for… maybe… years with the CEL lit-up, thinking that it’s “normal”. Hopefully the OP isn’t one of those people.

The next time you go to use the cruise, place you left foot behind the brake pedal and lift up on the brake pedal.

If the cruise stays on, there’s a problem with the brake pedal switch.

Tester

1 Like

The check engine light is not on, I’ll attempt the suggestions and post results when I get a chance. Thank you all