2013 Toyota Tundra 4WD Truck - Rubbing sound

I drive a 2013 Tundra Rock Warrior. Within the last month I’ve noticed a metalic rubbing sound coming from the front wheel area. I usually hear the noise at between 15 - 30- mph. I’ve even had my neighbor verify the noise driving thru the neighborhood. I’ve had two garages (my local mechanic and a dealership mechanic) check for the problem without a solution. What could be the issue with the rotating noise?

Check the brake dust shield. it might be slightly bent and hitting on the rotor.

2 Likes

You might have to find a shop that has Chassis Ears in order to pin point the noise…

1 Like

I’m presuming you are using tires that are approved for your truck. Do you know which wheel it is? If so, ask your shop to put the truck on the lift, remove the wheel and the brake caliper and pads. They may be able to see some marks on the disc or brake backing plate/dust shield, caliper carrier indicating something is rubbing. Or they may see weird wear patterns on the pads indicating a stuck piston or stuck caliper slides. In any event that’s a good time to lube the caliper slides and renew any brake parts needed.

If nothing brake related is discovered, it may be a faulty wheel bearing. However, the symptoms are not classic wheel bearing symptoms. Before the wheel bearing I’d suspect a problem with the front hub locking mechanism if this truck is 4WD. Or a front CV joint, if applicable.