2013 RAM 1500 - Sounds like something is dragging

at the rearend it sounds like something is scraping ever time i pick up speed, im praying that its not the rearend differental

Most likely guess is a brake, exhaust, or suspension system problem. Differential problems are usually described as “whines” rather than scrapes. Common sense says to check the differential fluid level of course.

1 Like

Does it do it only when accelerating or letting off the gas pedal and not just cruising or coasting??

I have seen the pinion nuts back off on those trucks around that year (don’t remember the exact year(s))… Check for up/down play by grabbing the pinion yoke, as well as checking the u-joints for movement, better to have the truck on jack stands or a lift and in neutral and rotate the driveshaft until one of the crosses on the u-joint is horizontal and check for up/down movement and then rotate 1/4 turn and check again… If any movement in the u-joint or pinion then you need to do the proper repairs and drive to see if noise is gone… As well as check diff fluid level as mentioned above… Check all the u-joint while you are there of course… If no movement and the u-joints have zerk (grease) fittings then grease them, could be dry, but if you grease them and the noise goes away, keep an eye on them as they could already be damaged from lack of grease and more out to fail down the road later…

2 Likes

I’ve had several GM trucks around that age start to develop issues with dried out U joints. davesmopar covered the bases there. The other prominent issue I have with them is the slip yoke sticking. Feels like you get bumped in the rear after a couple seconds coming to a stop. Probably not your problem but good to clean and lube that up while you’re in there…

3 Likes

Check if the driveshaft carrier bearing is worn.

Tester