2013 odyssey - starting issue

Hi, I have an occasional, but increasing, issue when starting my 2013 odyssey. Some days, starts like a charm when I turn the ignition. Other days, when I turn the key, it does seem to catch right away and start. Even with the issue occurs, so far, the car starts. However, it does seem to be getting a bit worse when the issue occurs. I’ll have to hold the key in the ignition on for a bit, until it seems to “catch” and then the engine turns on. Makes a “cha- cha-cha-cha” sound until it turns over.

Is the Check Engine light lit?

Try this: turn the key to on without turning it all the way down to start. Leave it there for 5 to 10 seconds then turn it off. Repeat a couple more times, then try to start the van. If this works repeatedly it means you might have a fuel system problem.

You don’t need to leave the ignition switch in run position for 5-10 seconds.

The fuel pump only runs for a second or two and then shuts off when the ignition switch is in the run position.

So, leaving it on any longer than 1-2 seconds doesn’t help.

Tester

1 Like

Unless the “cha- cha-cha-cha” sound is missing teeth on the flywheel.

My guess, the fuel rail is losing pressure when the engine is off. when starting the fuel rail has to be be charged with the proper amount of fuel pressure for a quick start. Common causes for fuel rail pressure drop when engine off

• fuel in leaking back into gas tank, faulty fuel pump check valve.

• fuel is leaking into cylinder(s), faulty fuel injector(s).

There are other possible causes not involving the fuel system or fuel pressure. The shop test for this theory is a fuel pressure hold test.

My Corolla usually starts within a second or two of rr rrr rrr sounds. But lately it has been off the road, not started for a couple of weeks sometimes. When there is that much time between engine usage, it definitely takes more rr rrr rrr cranking time before it starts running. Still less than 15 seconds, but difference is quite noticeable.