2013 Nissan Juke - CV Joints Shot

CVT FWD boots are starting to leak small amounts of grease. I have heard clicking sound when I make a left turn. My thoughts I had to replace turbo charger in my car cost 3000. I’m thinking of trading my car in by the end of the year. How long can I drive with this issue. I’m tired of spending tons of money to keep car up. Plus, my Nissan Juke is 6 yrs old 70,000 miles on it and warranty is out. Just worried. Turbo charger was the last straw. Thank you

I can see how a $3000 turbo problem would make you nervous. But if the turbo is now good as new, with only 70K miles on your Juke, seems to me replacing the CV joint is the way to go. There’s no way to tell how close a clicking CV joint is to failing without removing it from the car and examining on the bench. The only thing that’s certain is that it will fail eventually, and when it fails, you’ll be stranded. I had a CV joint fail completely, leaving me stranded, and it didn’t display any symptoms at all.

On the other hand, turbos and Nissans w/CVTs are the subject of quite a few posts here … but replacing the CV joint probably isn’t overly expensive.

1 Like

You can likely get another 2 months from the car without replacing the CV joints. Just be aware that the dealer will pay less for the car if one or more CV joints need to be replaced. If you really want to trade the Juke in, I’d start looking now. The new model year is here, and 2019 cars will be increasing difficult to find. You will get the best discounts on last year’s leftovers. There is nothing wrong with cars from the previous model year, they are just taking up space on the dealers lot that they would like to fill with 2020 cars. 2019 cars will get a double dose of depreciation, though. The first because it is no longer a new car after you drive it off the lot, and the second is that it is two model years old. If you keep your car for a long time, that isn’t much of an issue. We keep ours for 12 or more years, and I don’t pay attention to depreciation at all.

1 Like

Presumably the buyer would get an equivalent discount on the new car price for a 2019, otherwise they’d just purchase a 2020. Besides that, another advantage for choosing a 2019 is the recall and customer interest bulletin jobs have probably already been done. On the 2020 they may not have been discovered yet.

Thank you. I made a appointment for next week to have CVT joint fixed. Parts ordered today. Thanks again

1 Like

No. Go price a used year old car and then price a new one. There is a premium on new things generally.

6 years, 70K miles, with a shot turbo and CV joints is pathetic, unless this car has been driven abusively.

Wasn’t referring to a one year old used car. I was comparing the price of a new 2019 vs new 2020. Both vintages will likely occupy the new car lots for a while. Wouldn’t a new 2020 command a price premium over a new 2019?

I’m the only owner of vehicle bought it new. I have kept up with recommended maintenance. Yes, turbo charger did go and I’m sorry you feel it’s pathetic :face_with_monocle: let’s say I bought a darn defect :open_mouth:

Turbocharge failure is most generally caused by not changing the motor oil often enough or running the motor oil chronically low.

1 Like

I’ve been on time with all my oil changes. Nissan Jukes have had problems with turbo going out on all models. Needs to be addressed for recalls

I hope you are not going to blindly do a financial bet Nissan would make it right “this time” ?
Make your research before you pull a trigger on replacement.

1 Like

I had to fix it $3000 dollars out of pocket. Car would not drive past 45mph. After, having turbo charger fixed, car does not feel right anymore. I was at a stop light, felt a vibration like the engine wanted to cut off. I need trade quick​:rage::rage:

Four years from now, a 2020 car has 4 years of depreciation and a 2019 has 5 years off depreciation. It doesn’t matter when you buy it.

You paid $3000 to fix turbo and drivetrain is not working as smooth as before?
They should have given you some warranty on repair, go and demand the resolution.
If you try trading it like this, it will reduce the value.

I don’t recall many posts here about Jukes or Juke problems. OP can use the forum search feature above, upper right to double check. Maybe that’s b/c there’s not many Jukes on the road, don’t know. I’m not seeing any recalls or customer interest bulletins on the turbo unit, at least for the 2013 2WD Juke. There is a routine tsb saying when replacing the turbo that an oil tube should also be replaced. There’s another tsb for poor acceleration that is not related to the turbo, caused by brake system problems. Turbo’s add more moving parts to the engine compartment; some add’l service & reliability issues should be expected when purchasing a turbo equipped car.

yes, not many are visible on the road, and the ones I see around are suspiciously new-looking

also, considering they were low-volume, they still managed to make a dent here:

the first 3 top problems did not surprise me for a second: turbo, CVT, turbo again

Most of the repairs that I perform are not reported here, that doesn’t mean that they didn’t happen. This message board is a very narrow view of the real world.