2013 Kia Rio (5) Engine being Replaced

Hey Y’all!
I have a 2013 Kia Rio I bought brand new back in December of 2012, I drive A LOT and do a lot of road trips so I’ve already racked up just a tad over 72,000 miles on this little car. I have been very good about getting oil changes and all services in a timely matter AND at the dealer (from which I bought the car). So a little background story before I get to my question(s).

Recently, as in just this past Friday, I took my vehicle in for an oil change, tire rotation, the usual. And when I had my car returned to me after about 45 minutes, I jumped in started it up and immediately noticed my car felt different. Then my check engine light came on, before I even left the lot! So, of course I go back in and tell them, they say “oh that’s strange” and go plug it in and it reads as a cylinder misfire. Whaaaat? How does that happen, beings that I had NO issues before I took it in for regularly scheduled maintenance. Anyhow, they reset it, I guess assuming it wasn’t accurate and bring the car back around to me. Once again I hop in, start it up and now all the lights are off, but the car still FEELS really strange, like it’s got a puttery-ness to it that feels wrong. So I sit there, hesitating to pull away when the light comes on AGAIN except this time it starts flashing. I go back inside and say “Dude, the light is still on”. So the guy comes back out, sits in the car and says “it’s running kind of rough. huh?” and I’m like DUH! haha But while he is sitting in it the light goes off, and he decided to take it for a little drive around the block. It didn’t come back on, and he told me my spark plugs may need to be changed at this mileage, which I know is probably true but they can’t do it right now cause they’re slammed and they send me on my way. (I just went straight home with the intention of coming back Saturday for them to look at it again)
The very next day, I start the car to head to the grocery store. On my way, less than a mile from my house the light comes back on again. Now I’m just mad. I am not one of those people that can comfortably drive around town with that light beaming at me, but also the car feels rough, and it sounds pathetic. Like the little engine that could, but ain’t. haha So I drive straight to the dealer, skipping the store for fear it could leave me stranded. I don’t even want/need to get into the awful customer service experience I had that day, suffice to say I left very upset and promised to be there waiting for them at 7:15 Monday morning when they open to drop this car off. So I do that, Monday I drop the car and take a taxi to work. I get a phone call that yeah, the spark plugs do look bad so they’re going to change them. I don’t hear any news while I’m at work, and I assume no news is good news so I head out there after work (via taxi) only to be told that it did NOT fix whatever is wrong with the car, and it is infact that cylinder that the computer first said on Friday. I am under warranty (THANK HEAVENS!) So they start the process to get me approved for service. I leave the dealer, without a car. Yesterday (Tuesday) I receive the call that I’m getting a NEW ENGINE. Kia is sending it fron California, it’ll be in on Friday and they’ll probably put it in the car Saturday or Monday.

Here are my questions about this:

First of all, it a total ironic fashion, I had considered for the last week or so before my service trading this car in for a newer vehicle with less miles. Will a new engine help or hurt my trade in value at all? And after this do any of you recommend I trade it in and get it off my hands, or will I potentially end up on the better end of the bargain here?
*I also can’t help but think this car’s soul “knew” about my plan and self destructed on me, haha. Any thoughts on that? :wink: I know the topic of a car’s soul has come up many times on the radio program, and I kind of buy into it honestly. I had a little bit of guilt about wanting to trade a car in that I had a lot of good experiences in/

Secondly, I know it sounds like a really stupid question. But what does it really mean to have your engine replaced?

Thirdly, I asked the dealer what could have caused this and they said “Honestly, just wear and tear” is this bogus? Are they essentially telling me my new engine is going to go on me in 70,000 miles like this one?

All opinions are greatly appreciated. I haven’t had this kind of experience/repair in a long time.
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

“I took my vehicle in for an oil change, tire rotation, the usual.” - OP
What was included in “the usual”?

It would also help to know exactly what code(s) the shop saw.

I think what they were trying to tell you is not that the engine is about to go, but rather that it needs a spark plug change and perhaps a new filter. But if “the usual” includes things not yet disclosed, there’s a good possibility that those things may change my mind.

If that is really a NEW engine (I’d get that verified) and not rebuilt or used, and it is competently installed, you will have new life on this car.

Engines, like any other complicated mechanical product, can be of varying lifetime. Most will last over 100k, a good percentage over 200k, but some will fail earlier.

My guess is that the new engine will make no difference in the price if you trade the car in. If you do a private sale, this would probably be considered an advantage by some potential buyers, so you might be able to get a little more money.

From a financial perspective, though, you definitely should keep this car for few years. You’ve already taken the major depreciation hit and this car should be pretty reliable for a while.

From the details you gave, I’m not sure what really caused this problem. Something serious happened if you’re getting a new engine. Can you ask the dealer for more details on exactly what happened here? As you just got an oil change, did the engine somehow get run with no oil?

Will a new engine help or hurt my trade in value at all? And after this do any of you recommend I trade it in and get it off my hands, or will I potentially end up on the better end of the bargain here?

First off trading for a new vehicle every few years is financially foolish. 72k miles is NOT that many miles (even for a 2013). I use to drive 40k+ miles a year.

Secondly, I know it sounds like a really stupid question. But what does it really mean to have your engine replaced?

Open the hood…look inside - almost everything you see will be replaced. Hopefully with a NEW engine.

Thirdly, I asked the dealer what could have caused this and they said "Honestly, just wear and tear" is this bogus?

Engines should NOT be dying with just 72k miles unless they were abused. A good properly maintained engine should last several hundred thousand miles. I know a couple people who own a Rio with well over 200k miles and running strong.

It’s very difficult to say what exactly caused the problem. At least it’s under warranty.

Did anybody open the hood and check the oil level during this whole event?

Yeah, that was my first thought, they didn’t put oil in and now are covering it up.

Yeah, that was my first thought, they didn't put oil in and now are covering it up.

When I first started reading it…that’s what I thought. But I seriously doubt he could have driven as far as he did with no oil.

A new engine won’t affect the resale value. I had an engine replacement on a 1990 Ford Aerostar. Ford out in a new engine under warranty. It didn’t affect the resale value. In my case, there was a hairline crack in a cylinder head. Enough coolant got into the cylinder to score the cylinder wall. The van ran like new when I got it back.
My guess is that someone in the service dept. forgot to put in new oil after the old oil was changed. The dealer won’t admit to making a mistake, but is replacing your engine either on his,dime. You will be fine.

There’s too much missing mechanical detail to be able to guess what went wrong. Offhand, a theory could run like this although I wonder about the oil pressure lamp.

Many dealers have been going the route of using younger inexperienced lube technicians whom are put under pressure to go fast as they can or whom are immature and just don’t care.

This may have to do with failure to add oil, effects on the varaible valve timing valve train which may cause a misfire, the engine was damaged already by this point, the resolution now begins which thankfully and luckily in your case is being covered by warranty.

I’m still theorizing but I doubt the dealer is eating the cost of this engine. Seeing as how the service has always been done at the dealer odds are the service manager is manipulating a warranty claim to get it through the Kia warranty claims department and Kia is the one footing the bill.
If this oil change was botched by the dealer Kia may never know about it nor will they likely ever know unless someone tore into the engine and studied the cause of the failure.

It might also be interesting to know if the guy who did the oil change is still employed there. With very rare exceptions someone who makes a huge mistake which has the potential at least to cost the dealer a ton of money will usually end up involuntarily looking for another job.

Yeah agree Mike, but just thinking on the couple times they brought it back into the shop to check the MIL, they might have gone Oh Oh, no oil and filled it up without saying anything. But by then the damage was done as OK described. A mystery.

but just thinking on the couple times they brought it back into the shop to check the MIL, they might have gone
Good point. Very possible.

OP writes …

"I asked the dealer what could have caused this and they said "Honestly, just wear and tear" is this bogus?"

Yes, assuming the car wasn’t abused, that sounds bogus. But what’s the staff there going to say? That’s probably the best answer they could think of. I doubt what they did during the prior maintenance job caused the problem. It was just a coincidence probably.

A properly maintained engine shouldn’t conk out at 75K miles. There was likely some kind of defect in one of the internal parts. Defects like that can and does happen with all car engines, fortunately not frequently. You just ended up with the infrequent sample.

In any event it sounds like Kia is doing what’s right, making you whole. I’m assuming this is a new engine direct from the Kia factory, right? If anything that would make the car more attractive if I were considering buying it. What’s not to like about a car w/a new engine? And presumably a new engine warranty. Me, I’d reconsider the idea of trading it in, what with the new engine. It’s almost like having a new car.