Opinion on 2013 Kia Soul,trade in or repair

I have a 2013 Kia Soul. Recently the engine blew out on me. it was lack Of oil. I noticed since I had the oil and filters changed I was constantly putting more and more oil in.

I don’t know much about cars

But I was told instead of purchasing a new engine to just see about doing a trade in. I guess I just wanted to know if it’s possible and to get other people opinions only because I’m mostly stuck.

strong text

If you trade it in, the amount you’ll get will be reduced by the price of a replacement engine anyway, plus some additional amount to allow for the fact that the buyer can’t drive the car to be sure that nothing else is wrong, so I don’t think that’s a good idea.

I’d buy a remanufactured engine or if necessary a used engine and try to get the rest of the normal life out of this car, making sure to keep the fluids at the right level this time.

Car will be worth only junk value with a blown engine, a few hundred dollars. So trade in will not work.

Look into getting a rebuilt engine, or even one from a junk yard, although the latter is risky.

sounds like your drain plug or filter was loose. Did you check those? Where did you get the oil changed? Jiffy Lube? they are known for doing things like this.

Kia has a 5 year, 60,000 miles powertrain warranty.Its extended to 10 years for oriignal owner.
Warranty Coverage
• Basic Warranty Coverage
Except as limited or excluded below, all components
of your new Kia Vehicle are covered for 60
months/60,000 miles from the Date of First Service,
whichever comes first (Basic Limited Warranty
Coverage). This Warranty does not cover wear and
maintenance items, or those items excluded
elsewhere in the Manual. See “Exceptions” and
“What is Not Covered.”
• Power Train Coverage
For Original Owners (defined below), the Power
Train Limited Warranty begins upon expiration of the
60 month/60,000 mile Basic Limited Warranty
Coverage, and will continue to cover the following
components up to 120 months or 100,000 miles from
the Date of First Service, whichever comes first. It
does not cover normal wear and tear, maintenance, or
those items excluded elsewhere in this manual. See
“Exceptions” and “What is Not Covered.”
The items covered by the Power Train Limited
Warranty include:

• In the Engine: Cylinder block, cylinder head and
    all internal parts, timing gear, seals and gaskets,
    valve cover, flywheel, oil pump, water pump and
    turbo charger.
  • In the Transaxle: Transmission case and all
    internal parts, torque converter, drive shafts,
    universal joints, front hubs, bearings, seals and
    gaskets.
  • In the Axles: Axle shafts and C-V joints
    (couplings), seals, hub and wheel bearings.
  • In the Transmission: Transmission case, transfer
    case, torque converter and all internal parts, seals,
    and gaskets.

Good Morning

I had both the oil and filter done at the Kia dealership

Thank you so much
I did purchase a engine but was having horrible issues with the mechanic. He seemed to be upset because I wouldn’t go his way of purchasing the used engine after I repeatedly told him I didn’t have the money at all for what he wanted to do.

I found a used engine from some where else and had it ship to the mechanic shop. Unfortunately for me I purchased the wrong engine. Before I made the purchase I asked the mechanic repeatedly before during after if I was purchasing the right engine he never said anything even after I told him what it was. He never even called once the engine got there to tell me it was there and the wrong one I didn’t find out until I called him. So now I’m coming out of pocket again to ship the engine back and ordering a new one

That’s the reason I asked about the trade in

Good Morning

Thank you so much for this information

That is how you alienate mechanics when you need their help the most. Send the wrong engine back and either find a new mechanic or let the person do their job. A mechanic does not have to stand behind any work they do when the customer provides parts.

3 Likes

Black Book trade in for average condition, with 100,000 miles would be $4000. Deduct for more milage and deduct the cost of the new to you USED engine. Present value is scrap.
Question: If you supply the engine, and it is no good, who pays the labor for the second removal and installation. Hint: It won’t be the mechanic.

1 Like
1 Like