2013 chevy cruze. Headlight issue, might not be the bulb

I have an issue where when I turn on my headlights there is one light that sometimes comes on and sometimes comes off.

The easy answer is that I could replace the light bulb however, what I noticed is that if it turns on, it stays on, it does not flicker. When I turn them on and the light doesn’t come on it will sometimes turn on from some kind of impact like if I am a little bit herky-jerky with the wheel or the stick shift.

I’m a bit concerned that this means it’s some kind of a fuze issue and that replacing the light bulb won’t solve the problem.

A blown fuse wouldn’t cause an intermittent problem. It sounds like the bulb isn’t making a solid connection or possibly there’s a loose wire somewhere. Have a good mechanic look at it.

3 Likes

The loose connection thing wouldn’t surprise me because the car’s kind of low and I’ve had some definite surprise bumps while driving that wouldn’t usually impact a car.

I don’t know if being low has much to do with it, the car could just have a stiff suspension or it might need shocks/struts. Have it looked at by someone who A: Knows what he/she is doing and B: Actually has hands on the car. You might have a couple of different things wrong.

You might just need a new light socket. GM seems to melt them from time to time. I have a new one on the shelf waiting to be put in. One thing that can be tried is to spread and clean the prongs some to see if a better connection can be made.

3 Likes

Replace the bulb, the filament is loose inside the bulb.

1 Like

Or?

Switch the bulbs.

And see if the problem moves with the bulb.

Tester

5 Likes

You may have to replace the light socket due to loose contact connection to the bulb contacts.

I tried that, and it worked!

It’s coming on without a problem, now.

1 Like

Invoice is in the mail. Prompt payment is appreciated.

1 Like