2013 Chevrolet Malibu - Paint chipping

My car is a 2013 Malibu and the paint on the top and the trunk is chipping VERY bad

Paint or clear coat?

Tester

The solution is to take this eight year old car to a body shop and get an estimate for a paint job, or get a new car. They don’t last forever.

1 Like

… or, wait until MAACO is running a special on total repaint jobs.
Their work is… okay… and is certainly good enough for an 8 year old car.

1 Like

Agree! I had a 10888 Caprice that needed paint and a shop known for quality work quoted me $5000. That was more than the car was worth.

So I went to MAACO and had the job done minus clearcoat for $1400. It looked good and lasted another 4 years till I sold it. No rust developed.

it would be a lot cheaper to just have the roof and trunk repainted then the whole car.

I don’t know whether this is a regional MAACO sale, or if it is national, but a few minutes ago I saw a TV ad for their current sale price, and I think that it might have been $599. Even w/o clearcoat, that is a major bargain.

I should mention that I needed a front fender as well. They found a good used one for me and the car looked like new.

Any very low price is a come-on price for a car needing no extra preparation whatsoever

I think with 10888 as the year the Flux Capacitor needs to be recalibrated

1 Like

Once you get it repaired, to help maintain the paint surface appearance

• Rinse the car with plain water from a garden hose once a week.
  • Wash, rinse, and apply a wax product twice a year, spring and fall.
  • Try to park in the shade whenever possible.

This doesn’t make sense. If you don’t dry it after this, you’ll have bad water spots. If do you dry it after this, you’ll be rubbing a surface that isn’t fully clean and scratching the paint over time.

1 Like

If the paint has an adhesion problem, frequent washing will exacerbate the problem.

George keeps giving that Goofy advice which may actually work on his Stone Age vehicles but where most of us are it will do more harm than good .

Mequires detailer spray would be a better item if the vehicle is not filthy.

1 Like

Right now on the west coast I’d think nobody should be washing their cars during this drought. It’s BAD.

1 Like

His newest vehicle is the 1992 Toyota Corolla

I make a point of mentioning the model year, because George likes to be mysterious and refer to it as a 1990s Corolla :wink:

We all like you @George_San_Jose1 . . . but I’m not sure why you like to be mysterious about the model year of your cars

3 Likes

I had to have a fender on my 2002 Camry repainted around 2006, now the paint is peeling, any chance the shop will warranty it. And I’ve put over 160k miles on it since then. :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

For those who prefer to treat their car to a full soap and warm water wash followed by a rub down w/cotton towels, chamois, etc, I have no problem w/that advice. I do it that way myself occasionally. There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

But what do you do afterwards with a cat with no skin? By the way do you where that saying comes from?

1 Like

I thought my dad invented it … lol … seriously, other than speculating it might be something from the 1920’s about raccoon skins to make the popular raccoon coats, no idea where it came from.

“More Than One Way To Skin A Cat”

The saying comes from skinning a cat fish.

Fish have scales. Where a cat fish has skin.

In order to eat a fish, it has to scaled.

In order to eat cat fish, it has to be skinned.

Tester

4 Likes