2013 Audi Q5 - Timing Chain or Belt?

A 2013 Audi Q5, is it timing chain or timing belt?

The good news is that it has a timing chain.
The bad news is that the chain tensioners in these engines are very prone to failure, with catastrophic engine damage being the result.

Here is some info regarding the Class Action Lawsuit that was filed against VW/Audi as a result of these engine problems:

The 2 liter engine has a timing belt.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/audi,2013,q5,2.0l+l4+turbocharged,1505130,engine,timing+belt%2C+water+pump+&+component+kit,16088

Tester

I would have to check service info to be sure, but if this is the engine design I think it is it has both a timing belt and a timing chain.

Why do you ask?

I just had my 13’ Q5 timing chain go out as well. 114k miles. A lovely $3.8k to replace it, and that’s if no additional damage has occurred.

How often has the oil been changed, in terms of both elapsed time and odometer mileage?
Has the correct European-specification oil been used consistently?

1 Like

And it takes fancy VW-Audi spec 5w40 full synthetic oil, too!

Yup!
Has Ms. Fell been careful to use ONLY that oil?
And, if her Audi was purchased as a used vehicle, does she have hard copy maintenance records verifying that this particular oil was consistently used?

1 Like

Do you honestly believe that using a different, but similar oil such as 5w30 would really cause the timing chain tensioners to wear any differently than the “official” VW oil, or is this just a requirement imposed by VW in order to get compensation for their defect?

If somebody is using the manufacturer’s bizarrely-extended oil change intervals but is NOT using the specified oil, then there is a greatly-increased chance of sludging taking place in that engine, and under those circumstances the reduction in lubrication to the timing chain could easily lead to premature failure.

So–yes–I honestly believe that failure to use the correct-spec oil can play a major role in this problem.

2 Likes