2013 Audi A8 - $10,000 part

I doubt we will ever get a reply from the OP.
My impression was the car was purchased new, driven~5000 miles per year, likely had oil change done on mileage rather than time.
As noted in many posts of this nature “well maintained “ ends up as not well maintained, never checking the oil, no coolant changes, no brake fluid changes, etc.

1 Like

No, purchased from and Audi DEALER… an independent business

Again, an Audi dealer…

For the 3rd time, an Audi dealer, still an independent business not owned by Audi.

Not a safety issue, a reliability issue. One that is VERY dependent on this;

Whether it was, or was not depends on the records you can assemble. Good Luck, there is nothing we can do for you here.

2 Likes

I don’t appreciate your sarcasm, Mr.Wannabe car expert. You did not provide any valuable information. Keep it moving!

Whether or not turbo failure is a safety issue, there are 16 engine failure complaints related to turbo issues logged on safercar.gov.

1 Like

No sarcasm at all. Pure fact. And I am a car expert, not a wannabe.

5 Likes

For your information, this problem occured 1 week after the vehicle was serviced at an Audi dealer. Stop assuming everyone situation is the same.

We still haven’t gotten clarification from the OP regarding how well the vehicle was maintained:

A few other forum members have wondered about the same issue. Can the OP tell us how often this low-mileage vehicle has had its oil changed? It should have had a minimum of 8 oil changes.

The vehicle had frequent oil changes and was serviced by an Audi dealer a week before the turbo failed. This vehicle was barely driven and was well maintained. A8 turbo charger failure is a common complaint based on my research.

It is a safety issue when a vehicle stall abruptly with flowing traffic exiting off a busy highway. Comments like yours blows my mind, until you are in that situation, you will never understand the danger. This forum is full of arrogant comments. I’m so disappointed.

I see that. Complaints, yes, recall no. None of these incidents cause an accident, injury or death. An engine that stops running is not considered to be a safety defect if the car can be coasted off the road surface. Exactly like you’ve run it out of fuel. The power brakes, by FMVSS spec, must be able to give at least 2 power applies before running out of boost so stopping should not be a issue.

Yes, and those failures are almost all attributable to oil changes not having been done frequently enough.
How many oil changes were done over the past 8 years?
If it was at least 8, then the vehicle has been decently-maintained.
If it was fewer than 8, then it was not well-maintained.

Been there, done that, more than once. Just stay calm, stay off the brake, and guide it to the nearest shoulder, brake lightly until it stops. Put on your emergency flashers, call a tow truck.

I am the second owner. I owned to vehicle since 2018, and had 4 oil changes all done at an Audi dealer that I purchased the vehicle. I have no idea if the oil change were
done of the basis of odometer or elapsed time.

That was the only recommendation from the Audi dealer.

I plan to get additional repair diagnoses and repair estimates. Thank you!

Thank you!

That means you have no real idea of what this used vehicle was maintained or not the way it should have been . Plus you have no idea how the oil changes were done by miles or time. This vehicle falls under severe service requirments.

You really have 4 choices 1. Have it fixed by dealer 2. Have it fixed by an independent shop 4. See if you can find a shop to bypass the Turbo charger ( not really a great idea ) and drive this thing until it is used up 4. Ask the selling dealer if they can make you some kind of deal on another Audi preferably a less expensive new one.

1 Like

Thank you! this information was helpful and provided more insight into some of the root causes. This information was the most valuable on this forum.

Then what determines your taking it in for an oil change ? You’ve done it 4 times now.

@Bellgirl It is too late now but you might want to do what many people do if they have to have an expensive luxury vehicle like this A8 . They either lease or buy and turn it back in at lease end or trade it in at warranry end.

This Forum and many others get lots of people saying their used European luxury vehicle has expensive repairs not covered by warranty any more.

3 Likes